Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
gth
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:02 am   

#WRITE {6} results in garbage?

My intention is to use #WRITE to output to files in such a way that won't add CRLF. From the help entry for #FILE it seems as though file numbers 1-5 are text mode and I believe file numbers 6-10 are more binary-like in their I/O operations. However firing this alias -
Code:
#ALIAS test {#FILE 6 testme.txt;#WRITE {6} {Test};#CLOSE 6}

...produces this in the output file testme.txt -
Code:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Testm(@ A@ @m׈ ߈                                                         $   %           A~A~    <3Tw|h|4    %@ 8 %@    Ϫ    Ϫ@     UJ mUJ "UJ m   mL,N ,N            

The file doesn't exist prior to firing the alias; I'm running 7.21 on WinXP with latest patches applied. If this is a known bug or if #WRITE with file number 6 isn't going to work the way I expect, I don't mind using VBScript to write to a file provided vbscript can access the zMUD variables it needs to produce the file output.

Thanks,
G.
gth
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:31 am   

Okay, from searching around here a bit further, I see files 6-10 are for reading and writing structures (any detailed info on how the latter works??).

Back on topic though: is there a quick sample of writing to a file that won't add the carriage-return and line-feed? (via #MSS if necessary).

Thanks,
G.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:45 pm   

See the help for #write for more info on writing into files 6-10. Basically, #write 6 "hello world" 1;#write 6 "hello fang" 10 creates the first and tenth records, which are then read with #read 6 1;#read 6 10.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: