Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
omniwing
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:36 pm   

Triggers converted then deleted

I'm using Zmud 7.21 on Windows.

I always seem to have problems when I write triggers and classes from the command line. Although I am *positive* I am using the correct syntax, they never seem to work unless I write them the 'old fashioned' way by going into triggers, clicking new, and making the pattern and value there. Now, here is the real problem:

I made about 15 triggers this way and dropped them into a new class folder that I made called "walking". This was fine. Then, the mud converted the triggers into text, so the class and all of the triggers were written as a big text piece. Again, not really a problem. But then it deleted all of the trigger text! It just says #CLASS {walking} #CLASS 0. I saved the trigger text, and whenever I paste it back in there, when I click save, it erases it! What the heck?! Here is an example of the trigger text:

#TRIGGER {you hit} {
recite recall
#T- walking
}

Basically its just 15 of those, with 'you hit' changed to 'you hit hard, you mutilate', etc for each of the 15 triggers. But as I said, whenever I try paste it into the class, it erases it when I click save, and whenever I try to do anything from the command line, it doesn't work. The only way I can get triggers to work is write them the old fashioned way, and the only way I got this class to work (it actually worked 2 or 3 times) was to write the 15 triggers old style, then highlight them all and drag them ALL into the class folder. This worked for like 2 hours, and then it magically converted it all to 'text' style, and then also deleted it, and now it won't even let me paste it back in. What gives? How do I fix this? Is my version of Zmud messed up? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance
-Omniwing
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:27 pm   Re: Triggers converted then deleted

omniwing wrote:
I made about 15 triggers this way and dropped them into a new class folder that I made called "walking". This was fine. Then, the mud converted the triggers into text, so the class and all of the triggers were written as a big text piece.

What did you do, exactly, when you "dropped them into a new class"? And you don't really explain what you mean by "converting the triggers into text" - you talk about the MUD doing it, but I think you mean that zMUD did it, because the MUD shouldn't have anything to do with your triggers in zMUD. Finally, what's the "big text piece" you talk about? You mention later in your post that things were "converted to text style", which is related, but I'm not sure what distinction you're making so it's hard to offer help.

omniwing wrote:
whenever I try paste it into the class, it erases it when I click save

This is normally what happens when the text you've entered isn't valid. What exactly is the text (you may find it helpful to upload the .txt file somewhere)? Where exactly are you pasting it?

Finally, you say you can't enter triggers from the command line. The only thing that normally makes that happen is turning parsing off, so check that. You could always reinstall zMUD as well (uninstall it first to make sure it's really gone) and see if that helps.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:57 am   

Well, since I know what he's talking about, I can clarify this somewhat...
When he says converted to text, he is looking at the Class Script tab on his class folder.

Sometimes when you paste a script set into this class script view (a method I use frequently) it will NOT save correctly. I've had to paste into it up to 5 times to get it to save properly before.

As for what he is experiencing with them deleting and not working, I have no idea... however I can explain how to create your triggers properly from the command line in order to get them to work:

Use the #CLASS command to change your default class to make the class folder where you want these triggers, then using #TRIG to make them, then #CLASS 0 to make the default back to normal.

ie.
Code:
#CLASS {hits}
#TR {blaha} {1}
#TR {blahb} {2}
#TR {blahc} {3}
#TR {blahd} {4}
#CLASS 0
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:15 pm   Got it

Yes, thank you for your help. If I view the classes as little folder icons instead of a "C" folder icon, the paste stays and the code works. A strange quirk. Problem solved!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: