Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
pelonza
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:22 pm   

Mapper Issues

I'm mapping fairly large areas of my mud, so will turn the mapper on and off regularly. I've been having problems however with it not reactivating room exits for mapping when I reenable the edit mode.

I.E. I've already mapped a room, and detected exits. I have not COMPLETED these exits to new rooms. I've turned off edit mode, then at a later point turned it back on. Now my exits that are not mapped (but detected) appear grey, and linked to their own room.

this has caused a lot of problems with trying to continue mapping through old rooms as it will create a second room on top of another room rather than link to the existing room.

Note this is NOT in follow mode, but rather having switch modes, and re-enabled edit mode.

I have tried re-running the configure wizard as well as exiting the mapper and zmud entirely.

How do I renable those exit to regular mapping?
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:48 am   

Can you be more clear about what you mean by not mapped but detected? I really can't figure out what you mean by that.
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:55 am   

be sure the rooms you created is in same level?

for example
if the room(1) is in level 1,the room(2) is in level 3
in map creation mode from room(1) i couldn't walk 3 through one link
but in follow mode there is no problem

i am not sure,maybe that's your mean?
i don't know the reason, i also want to know
pelonza
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:31 pm   Re: Questions

First, yes, I'm sure they are on the same level. I can see both rooms on the mapper.

What I mean by detected:
When you map a room, zmud detects all the exits and creates 'stubs' for exits. You have to actually FOLLOW the stub/direction for it to become linked to the next room.

I have previously detected the stubs/exits, then at a later point re-enabled mapping mode. Now, even though I have a room on the other side of the stub, when I follow it rather than connecting the two rooms together, it creates a NEW room, overtop of the old room (so that on the map, there are two rooms in essentially the same location on the grid). So I have to manually go in and change it.

I've also noticed that when in edit mode, my old, detected stubs are still 'greyed out' as if in follow mode, meaning I can't edit them. I have to just delete them and make a new exit. When that is possible.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:19 pm   

I get this sometimes, pelonza - normally it's because one of the rooms that's now in a stack had wrong data when it was captured (room name with an extra character or something), so the mapper thinks the rooms don't match. You can use the merge function to make the two rooms into one.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
TiberSeptim
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:33 pm   

There's a lot of common causes of this. One of the most frequent is if your MUD has weather information displayed so sometimes you will see:

The Merchant's Way (sunny)

And later when you come through the same room you see,

The Merchant's Way (raining)

Unless you actively gag the weather information, Z/CMUD is going to see this as two different rooms. It can't automatically assume they are the same room simply because they ought to be spatially, because many MUDs don't follow a precise grid-layout of rooms and spatial relationships are not absolute.

The solution is for you to find out why the parser is seeing these as two different rooms, and gag whatever information is causing the conflict (weather, time of day, season, etc.).
MrCheviot
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:41 pm   

I've experienced this as little as 1 hour after the fact, with no weather being involved in any of the output capture.

Let's say you scan a room that has 3 entrances: S, N, W. You enter from the south, that exit is linked. Map scans and adds exits W and N. You then go north, which is linked to a newly created room. Null exit to W is still there. Sometime later you return, and go west - new room is created west, but the null exit W is still there, so that when you goto properties/exits, you'll see 2 W exits (one null, one with new link).

This has happened to me (and I think is what pelonza is describing), but more frequently I find it when adding a new room via room tool and then trying to manually add a link back to an existing room (so in that cast, create room to W, edit, add exit E with W entrance to prior room - doesn't use existing stub, makes new entrance).

In any event, I've gotten rather paranoid about exits being broken (because this situation with one null and one working link will mess up the walking algo), so I just double check after I revisit a room both by checking properties and manually typing #move w; #move e to make sure mapper can move me without problems.

Sorry, suppose I didn't really offer much in terms of a solution. Maybe a quick alias to #makeroom <dir> and color code it so you know it's a spot you've left to finish later?

-MrC
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: