Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
thd
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:34 am   

Is Ther Any Free Shell to Run Tintin++ ??

Since my computer can not run 24*7 without any cease, I'd like to find a free Unix/Linux shell to run tintin++.
the Shell should have such functions:
1. compile program, such as configure, make.
2. outwards access to Internet.
3. program running after log off.
However, no such shell provider can be found. Maybe some commercial shell provider have. Non-free, but lower charge, less than $5 per month are aslo ok.

Of course it will be better if there's some provider can provide Windows access, so that I can run Zmud/Cmud.

Anyone know if there's some ?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:30 am   

This isn't really the place to ask about tintin++ issues. I suggest asking in a unix- or tintin-oriented forum to find those answers.

You won't find a provider that'll give you free access to Windows. You almost certainly won't find a provider with cheap access - finding one with access at all will likely be a chore.

Running your computer for long periods of time shouldn't really be a problem no matter what hardware you have. Unless you're running an old version of Windows (ME is particularly bad), you shouldn't have any memory-management issues and your system will last for a very long time even without bags of RAM. I have 2gb on this computer and my record uptime is about ten weeks - my laptop has 512mb and has lasted a week or two. Also, depending what you're using this for, you could just reboot daily or weekly or something.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:52 am   

2 GB RAM and you're only getting 10 weeks? Dear god, I had my XP Desktop running for 10 months! On 796 MB RAM and dual PIII 550s :P
Then I only shut it down because a software install forced me to.

Still, all hail Linux. I had a Red Hat 9 server running for 2 years with no shutdowns (I never upgraded any soft on it though) And then it only shut down because of a power outage ;)

As for free shells, I suggest just doing as Fang says and running your own computer. Just turn off the monitor. Then you can use zMUD :)
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:26 pm   

ralgith wrote:
As for free shells, I suggest just doing as Fang says and running your own computer. Just turn off the monitor. Then you can use zMUD :)

Or he could upgrade his current OS http://distrowatch.com/ ;). Why would someone want to be logged in to a MUD 24/7 though?
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:22 pm   

I keep my healer logged in 24/7 sitting in my clan room with triggers for my clan members to use.
Good enough reason for me.
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:10 pm   

ralgith wrote:
2 GB RAM and you're only getting 10 weeks?

Windows updates. Since I'm running XP Home rather than Pro (yeah, I'm cheap), I can't turn off the annoying popup that comes up every X minutes reminding me that I need to reboot. It's weird that they think I didn't get the message the first time, or perhaps I didn't mean it when I said "I'll do the rebooting, ta", but pff. I tend to hide it down in the bottom corner, but eventually an important-enough security update's released and I have to reboot :(

Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:43 pm   

Can't turn off a service in XP home? Not even from the command line?
sc stop wuauserv
should do it
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:24 am   

A lot of the command line tools are disabled in XP Home (systeminfo is the one I miss the most Sad ) but I never actually tried disabling the service entirely once the updates are down. Does that actually work? I was talking about using group policy to set the time between popups to a million years.

ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:18 am   

One trick to access the command line tools (however requires a reboot LOL!!!) Is to use an XP Pro CD to boot into the recovery console. Then you get all the tools and it'll affect your XP Home settings. So you set the million years from the command line ;)

I know, I'm evil.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:33 am   

However, if you had access to an XP Pro CD, wouldn't it be simpler just to install XP Pro?

ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:05 am   

Not if you don't have another Key because the one you had is already used...

Not that it is a problem for me:
11 Machines:
1 Windows Vista Home Premium Laptop
1 Windows XP Pro Desktop
1 Windows 98 For Old Games
1 Linux Server
7 Diskless Clients that remote boot from the server ;)
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:56 am   

You get a certain number of automatic internet validations per time period - it's only really a problem if you format a lot (like I sometimes do) or if you're running your copy on more than one machine.

If you run out of internet validations, there's always a free phone number that you can ring to get validated. "Are you using this copy on just one computer?" 'YES, YES I AM, HONEST, ABSOLUTELY' "Okay, here's your validation code!"

Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:45 am   

Disabling the service does stop the notifications.
I think you can also copy gpedit.msc from an XP Pro installation and use that (PM me if you want the file Twisted Evil)
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:38 am   

Fang Xianfu wrote:
You get a certain number of automatic internet validations per time period - it's only really a problem if you format a lot (like I sometimes do) or if you're running your copy on more than one machine.

If you run out of internet validations, there's always a free phone number that you can ring to get validated. "Are you using this copy on just one computer?" 'YES, YES I AM, HONEST, ABSOLUTELY' "Okay, here's your validation code!"

Of course if you have the corporate version it doesn't matter anyways... ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: