Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
austin
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:53 am   

getting rid of captions on windows

I can get rid of the captions on windows by unchecking "show caption" in the "layout" menu, but they always come back when I start up cmud again. Is there any way to get rid of those space-eating captions permanently without having to do it manually every time I open cmud?
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:35 am   

That's odd... I did "save layout" after last time I removed the captions on my capture windows, and I haven't seen them since.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:22 pm   

Thinjon is correct...that setting is stored in the window layout (*.XLY) file for your session. So you'll need to do it for each new session icon that you create. But once it is saved in the layout, then it should work fine.
austin
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:57 am   

I can't find any "save layout" option. All I see is "Auto-save Layout", and that option has always been checked. I've tried unchecking it and checking it again, and that still hasn't done it.
austin
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:04 am   

Ok, I figured out how to make it work now. I open the session, uncheck "show caption" for each window. Then uncheck "auto-save layout". Then re-check "auto-save layout". Then close cmud completely (not just close the session, like I was doing previously). Then re-open cmud and re-open the session. It seems like an awfully round-about way to do something that should happen automatically. *cough* "Auto-save Layout" implies that I shouldn't have to go through a complex sequence of checking and unchecking options and completely restarting the program.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:17 am   

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense at all. The layout file is saved when a session closes. So unless your session isn't closing properly, just using File/Close Session should be enough.

The #SAVE command also saves the layout, so that might help. There is also a Save Layout command in the Toolbar customization area that you can add to your menu. It was removed because too many people were being confused into saving their layout to the wrong file name (and some people were overwriting the default CMUD.XLY file and causing their entire CMUD system to become unstable). You can also execute this menu command on the command line with:

#CMD SaveLayout

But you shouldn't need to do that. Just closing your session or using the #SAVE command should save the layout. Unchecking the "auto-save layout" option doesn't make any sense to me either, since this just tells CMUD whether to save your layout when you exit. So Unchecking and then checking it again shouldn't do anything.

So I don't know...for some reason, your session isn't working like mine here at all. When I do it here, it *is* painless and easy (I just uncheck "show caption" for each window, then close my session and it saves just fine).
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:06 am   

Did you install on top of zmud by any chance? Or on top of an older cmud? I had all sorts of strange problems related to getting my layout to save when I first installed cmud, but once I installed to a clean directory (who knows what I had done before) things became much more sane.
austin
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:15 am   

nah, brand new install on a brand new vista 64 bit box.
austin
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:58 am   

By the way, I still seem to have this problem with 2.18. The only way to get rid of captions is to follow these steps exactly: uncheck "show caption" for each window, uncheck "auto-save layout", re-check "auto-save layout", close cmud completely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: