Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jed
Adept

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:36 am   

finished scripts

Soooo, the zmud forum has a finished scripts forum, but there isn't yet one for cmud... are there any planse to create one???
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:37 am   

I think the intention is that the package library would be the finished scripts forum for CMUD.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
jed
Adept

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:36 am   

Is there any way to look at the scripts in the package library without actually downloading them, and opening them in cmud?
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:18 pm   

I don't think so. Since the packages are just DB's beyond looking at the descriptions maintained in the project library you'd essentially have to be able to query the package on Zugg's server which would be ALOT of traffic. Plus I think it will make it a bit harder to enforce download access to the package library only being available to registered users.

What maybe nice is a web interface that lists what packages are actually in the library. Since I've always been registered, I have no idea if you can see package library descriptions without being registered.
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:01 pm   

A finished scripts forum does have some advantages over the library - allowing public discussion of problems with the author, for example. It's a good way to keep queries about a specific package or set of scripts in one place.

What'd be really nice is if there were some sort of plib:// protocol, so you could start the thread and then provide a download link, or at least a link to the package's entry in the library.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:38 pm   

The Shared Package Library has a Comments area that can be used for some feedback. I want to encourage using the Library because it allows an entire package to be shared, rather than just the text-based scripts. The text script format is very limiting, and will be even more limiting as new stuff is added to CMUD. When it comes to multiple windows interacting (especially with zApp forms in the future), sharing a package from the Library will be *much* easier than sharing a script with the forums. It's also easier to search, etc.

I *do* plan to have web access to the list of packages in the future. You won't be able to view the package (because again, it's not in text format...it's an entire package file). And only registered CMUD users can actually download packages. But the web interface would allow you to see what packages are available. As there gets to be more activity in this area, a discussion forum for published packages might be useful for discussion purposes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: