Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jed
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:26 pm   

#wait command

In a different thread, zugg writes
Quote:
Btw, you really need to get rid of those nasty #wait commands at the beginning of this script. Otherwise it will probably cause all sorts of problems for you. I don't know why you have #wait statements between your various variable initializations. You might want to make a new post where you describe what you are trying to do so that some of the programming Gurus can try to help you come up with a better script design. With all of those #WAIT commands, you will have a very hard and frustrating time getting this script to work properly in all situations.
in reference to a script I have: which uses a decent quantity of #wait commands. I do this for a couple reasons, but the first is generally that when I initialize some variables, they don't get initialized before the next command is executed. I'm not sure if this is a product of my old computer or of some other reason. The second reason I use them is in situations where I really should be waiting for an event to happen, but I'm not yet too comefortable with the process of turning triggers on and off in the middle of a script to identify when something happens for the sake of making a decision in a script. So far I hav'nt found a good way to confirm if all of the stacked commands have been executed. for instance when I walk from one room to another, I typically write a script to walk from one to the other then assign a wait command to wait for (number of rooms)*(50 miliseconds per room) for a total wait time of 500 miliseconds prior to executing other commands just to be sure that i don't have a gozilion commands stacked... I guess i need to get better at making things happen within scripts based on mud feedback to that point. In the early days I tried to do this by adding a #trigger command in the script only to find that this creates a trigger in a class rather than executing some sort of trigger within just the script im working on (is there anything out there like this?)... Ultimately I would certainly like to get all of the #wait commands out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:55 pm   

Fang Xianfu wrote:
jed wrote:
if I just have comands back to back to back, some of them don't execute fully before others run

This shouldn't happen ever. I believe it's even impossible. zMUD used to be able to run more than one trigger simultaneously, which caused problems - CMUD doesn't even do this. Only one thing is happening at a time.

If you explain your other problem in greater detail, there's probably something that can be done. For now, all I can really suggest is a generic "read the help file for #t+ and #t- and use them to change which triggers/classes of triggers are active at any point in the script".

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:15 am   

It sounds like #EVENT is right up you're alley. You can respond to a specific event that you 'RAISED' when certain conditions are meant.

As an aside, you have you Tell window as a child of your FoxMUD window. Windows should stand on their own and not be children of each other.
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:39 am   

So here's one example of what I'm talking about. The first time@oldpath is displayed, sometimes it has a value even though it has been initialized. However it always gets initialized and has no value the second time it is displayed.
Code:
#wa 200
say wow
#te 8985 "deathmaze"
resetrooms
#wa 1000
#var oldpath {}
#say this is the oldpath variable right now @oldpath
#wa 500
#var oldpath {}
#say this is the oldpath variable right now @oldpath
#wa 500
#var oldpath2 {}
#wa 200
#var curdir {}
#wa 200
#var roomstring {}
#wa 200
#var numexits {}
#show @numexits {}
#var newdir {}
say crap
#wa 100
look
Looks like from what zugg has posted above however, that this is probably happening because there are multiple execution branches due to the existing #wait... does that sound right?
jed
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:40 am   

Saaaay another reason why I use the #wait commands is to slow things down to my pace... many times things whiz by so fast i cant read them.. can the script be slowed down by some other means?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:42 am   

Yes, there is a Send Delay option in the preferences that will slow down some stuff, like speedwalking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: