Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kaziem

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:31 pm   

Did I get fooled?

This is the first time i post in this forum. I wanted to state that I feel fooled for having bought zMUD with upgrades for live, but getting forced to buy a new software cMUD if i want full support for Windows Vista with similar functionality.
Wyndle
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:46 pm   

How long ago did you pay for a license to use zMUD? And if you re-read that license, it states that you may download any available upgrades for the life of the program. No where does it state that the program will always be in developement and supported. If you feel fooled then you should reconsider why you are upgrading to Vista since that is the genuine scam upgrade. Zugg is on the level and far more honest with his customers than almost any other service or product provider I've ever come across. He has the right to choose what projects he works on and he has a genuine need to change his licensing scheme. If I had the spare cash I'd have already switched to the new client.

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. zMUD is stable enough to last several more years as long as you don't use Vista. If you are using Vista already, I have to ask, are you aware of Micro-Soft's track record with new operating systems? It will be a year or more before it is a truely viable OS in the most general terms, but from what I have heard about it I wont install it on any of my computers unless I have no other options (and that is not going to happen any time soon).
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:00 pm   

Besides which, Zmud WORKS on Vista.
It is simply not supported by Zugg to do so. As it is not supported to work on Linux or Mac boxes. But I know people do use it on linux and probably Macs as well.
Zugg chose to not develop it any more because of many reasons you can read if you choose to search the forums.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:13 pm   

Well it depends on what you mean, but I would say no.

You may have missed the information that zMUD may still receive bug fixes but is no longer under active development. So while zMUD does have free upgrades of the product, the product is at the end of it's development life.

As a recent purchaser of zMUD you also can an equivalent license for CMUD and it has unlimited major version upgrades for 2 years. Point release upgrades will still be free.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:34 pm   

Free upgrades for life is to me, the life of Zmud, not forever. I've used Zmud for years and I think I've gotten my money's worth from it. There are somethings that cannot be considered an upgrade and ultimately a new product gets developed. That's like someone buying Windows 3.11 and expecting free upgrade to Vista, Cmud is a completely new product and I was happy to pay for the software. After the end of my 2 years of upgrades, I would hope that Zugg has an option to buy an extended warranty, but thats a little ways away.

Zmud is the past, Cmud is the future! I am excited to see the final result and the capabilities it will have!!
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:47 pm   

I also don't agree with the "similar functionality" part - CMUD has (and will continue to gain) more and better features than zMUD.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:35 pm   

It annoys me that nearly 1yr after CMUD's first release then we still have people registering on the forums just to write a single post complaining about the upgrade policy of CMUD and then disappearing again once they're done bitching.
The status is outlined clearly in numerous posts and replied to at length every time it's asked, the OP didn't have a thing either insightful or new to say that hasn't already been covered and the topic has been done to death. Perhaps we should have a complaints forum/black hole to move these posts to Twisted Evil
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:56 pm   

Yes moving or deleting posts like these would be nice however it has always been Zugg's policy to keep these forums as transparent as possible even if potentially negative.

My suggestion to combat this idiocy is as follows:

No matter how much anyone is tempted to reply to such a post they should refrain from doing so. This will leave the post unanswered and the poster no outlet for the idiocy, the post would soon vanish in amongst the myriad of legitimate posts.

Everyone should enforce themselves to follow this suggestion even if there are many such posts as this should ensure there is no joy or benefit from posting as such.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:48 pm   

Did I insult anyone? It's ok if you don't share my point of view, I can accept some constructive criticism (like the first 5 replies) - calling me an idiot and trashtalking me because I am an unhappy customer isn't.

Arminas: The zMUD window does blink every time you run the mouse at the top of the window. It's no biggie, but that's not the main reason why I posted.

Guinn: I've followed this forum actively, just not posting. I LOVE zMUD, and I like Zugg's work, but I'm just not happy that in order to mud in my current OS I'm getting forced to buy a new mud client with, yes, similar functionality (in the sense that it's the only option that Zugg gives me if I want to continue mudding bug-free with Vista) - that's it.

Taz: Thank god that it's Zugg's policy that applies. An open forum is an place to share opinions (inside some etiquette guidelines), not a place to write a monologue and have everyone agree to your posts or get them deleted. But thank you for your lecture on how to force yourself to bite your tongue when you're completely clueless about an issue or disagree with it.

P.S.: Arminas - On another note,yes, zMUD works great in linux with a virtual machine that has windows installed on it (I checked it with 98/2000/XP) even with same font etc.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:19 pm   

If you monitor the forums actively then why wait a year before you complain about CMUD? Why not say something when Zugg was asking for opinions - when it was still called zMUDXP - 'Did I get fooled?' is a misleading title if you've been up to speed on things since the start.

Quote:
in the sense that it's the only option that Zugg gives me if I want to continue mudding bug-free with Vista

But zMUD does work! It's not officially supported, but it works in Vista!
I'm using it right now, it's as stable as it ever was in 98SE, 2000 or XP...
There will be no new features in zMUD, but nothing will break that might stop it working in Vista... it's just such a non issue. Zugg has to officially stop supporting zMUD with new products at a certain time, and that time has come, but it just so happens that it doesn't make the blindest bit of difference.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:41 pm   

kaziem wrote:
But thank you for your lecture on how to force yourself to bite your tongue when you're completely clueless about an issue or disagree with it.

The irony of this isn't lost on me :)

In a similar vein, I don't think it's wise to ignore posts of this kind either. Someone may have a legitimate question or complaint and this is an excellent place for it to take place. The OP expressed an opinion in a non-offensive manner and so it deserves an equally non-offensive response. Deleting posts, refusing to talk about something or calling their post idiocy isn't the way to change these people's opinions, and that's what matters if you think that they're wrong.

EDIT:I'd argue that saying that something someone is doing is idiocy is to call them an idiot, but I'd rather just edit this post and have it be accurate. Semantic discussions can get bad :(

Last edited by Fang Xianfu on Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:07 am   

*sigh* No-one called anyone an idiot. The original word was "idiocy", which is not a word that can be applied to people.

Apart from that, there is a thread over in the CMUD Discussion forum getting more productive answers at the moment, and I'm not going to repeat any of that here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: