Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
raususken
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:35 am   

Error when accessing Zmud

I was using zmud perfectly fine earlier yesterday. Came home from work, attempted to access, and got this message. Error: Access violation at 0x02C56BDE (Tried to write to 0x00EEFC), program terminated.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:48 pm   

This is something related to memory usage and maybe is tied into Windows's power saving stuff. I always get some sort of error if I leave ZMud open offline overnight and the course of the following full workday I stopped doing that, so I've yet to see how CMud might react to long periods of bored idleness.

Since it's likely you left ZMud open after playing a while, it's more than likely an improperly handled loop of some sort.
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:33 am   

So then, I am assuming there is no fix for it? I am using the latest version, if that is of any help.
raususken
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:29 am   

UPDATE: I tried uninstalling, and redownloading Zmud from zuggsoft, and Im getting the same error message. Also, I didnt leave zmud open and running while I was gone to work. All applications on my computer were closed down before I left.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:50 pm   

Where do you get this error message? Is it when you first start zMUD, or when you try to connect to your MUD? If it happens when zMUD is first started, do you see the zMUD Splash screen? If so, what is the last message displayed at the bottom of the splash screen?

Did Windows install any updates or patches overnight that might have changed your computer? I assume you've already tried just rebooting your computer? And I'm assuming you are using Windows XP?

There isn't any known bug in zMUD that would cause this particular error, so it has to be something specific to your computer. It might be a corrupted file in your zMUD directory. Keep in mind that uninstalling does not delete all of your zMUD files, so uninstalling/reinstalling rarely fixes problems like this. You might want to try installing zMUD to a different directory and try running it from there. If that works, then there is a corrupted file in your current zMUD directory.
raususken
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:13 pm   

This message occurs when I attempt to connect a mud. I attempted to connect to 3 different muds, and got the same message each time. I'll try installing to a different directory and see if the problem persists. Thanks.

Unistalled...reinstalled to a different harddrive, and I get the same message when I try to connect to a mud. Im running XP, and there was no notification that any updates had been downloaded or installed. I have automatic downloads setup, but it notifies me before installing. Im at a loss.
Wyndle
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:34 pm   

That almost looks like another program has locked out a memory address that zMUD was using to connect to remote hosts. Did your firewall software get an automatic upgrade? Try disabling as many network-using programs as possible (one at a time) and try to connect again.
raususken
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:51 am   

Could it be that I deleted cookies, temp internet files, and cleared my browsing history? I do that periodically. Yes, I have Mcafee's. It automatically updates the security center. In any case, once I installed to a new directory, it gave me the same error. So I downloaded Cmud. Right after, I pulled up zmud to get the addresses to the muds Im active on, and it connected with no problem. Real irritating, because now I have to reset all of my triggers, and redefine my settings. In any case, problem solved. At least for now. Thanks to everyone for their input and assistance.
Wyndle
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:25 pm   

I doubt that clearing your internet 'junk' would affect zMUD since my browser is set to forget everything not stored in the pw db and clear the same 'junk' every time it closes. This error reminds me of similar errors I got with one of the 6.x versions. I won't dig any deeper since you have already found a workaround.
koga
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:42 am   

I have a similar problem to this, it happens every now and then when I'm playing a mud, it causes zMUD's screen to freeze up and I have to close it out, upon which time it gives me the same error message, and then I have to re-open zMUD and re-login to the mud, overall, it's not a huge problem for me, but more of a nuisance since I died because of it on the mud yesterday

forgot to mention, I'm using zMUD 7.21 - just incase the version of it matters in this case
koga
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:11 am   

koga wrote:
I have a similar problem to this, it happens every now and then when I'm playing a mud, it causes zMUD's screen to freeze up and I have to close it out, upon which time it gives me the same error message, and then I have to re-open zMUD and re-login to the mud, overall, it's not a huge problem for me, but more of a nuisance since I died because of it on the mud yesterday

forgot to mention, I'm using zMUD 7.21 - just incase the version of it matters in this case

so, does anyone know why this could be happening? it's still doing it to me every now and then (though not as often as it did a month ago)
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:11 pm   

Since this appears to be a memory issue have you considered changing the scroll back buffer size of the mud output window?

Try lowering it to something like 900. I remember somewhere back in ancient history I used to get scrollback butter memory errors. But then I ran with stuff like 65,000 for my buffer.
koga
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:49 am   

Arminas wrote:
Since this appears to be a memory issue have you considered changing the scroll back buffer size of the mud output window?

Try lowering it to something like 900. I remember somewhere back in ancient history I used to get scrollback butter memory errors. But then I ran with stuff like 65,000 for my buffer.

how do I do that?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:16 pm   

It's in the preferences, under Memory.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
koga
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:02 pm   

ok, thank you all, I'm trying that now, hopefully it won't happen anymore :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: