Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
SJ Hook
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:30 pm   

[1.26] - double command line, no status line, freezing.

Hello

This time I have simply enough, I was so desperate today that I was trying to install Zmud back instead of Cmud, but well, he is not working on Vista x64 :(
/crying
Okies, here is my case.
After running Cmud for more than a month, I dowloaded patch 1.25 and 1.26. That was the last time Cmud was working ok. After patching (btw. when U want to autopatch in Vista, U need to run Cmud with Administrator rights), first day Cmud was working ok, but some of my triggers stopped working. They did pretty well before patching. I dont have many triggers, about 10-15 total, coz I was slowly converting them manually from old Zmud. So, next day, after I run Cmud, pretty weird things happened with layouts, first, status bar simply disappear. There was only command line, no status line. I tryied to find the reason for that, and I have undocked mapper to search for status line. Well, that was a big mistake, Cmud crashed, and my layout was saved. When I started Cmud again, instead of my status line, I got ANOTHER copy of command line above the original one, when Im writing in one of them, its like mirror in second one. My mapper is now undocked all the time, when im trying to acces menu, Cmud is freezing, and taking 100% of my CPU power (AMD X2 4600) . I can only shut him down via Task manager.
Ok, - I was thinking - no problem for me, I can reinstall Cmud like old, good Zmud.
Well, I was wrong.
Im uninstalling Cmud, Im manually deleting Cmud directory, my personal files for Cmud where inside Cmud directory so they are deleted as well, but - just in case - I searched whole disk for any other Cmud files, no more files. Reinstalling, running for the first time, looks like clean fresh installation copy , BUT when I quit, and restart Cmud, I have ALL settings back, double command line, weird mapper position, and of course a nice freeze when I try to acces the menu bar. I tryied more than 10 times to wipe out Cmud, but every new instalations, all weird layouts/settings/bars are back.
How is that possible?
Are the settings stored in registry?
If yes, where and how I can clean them, I simply cant use Cmud anymore.
Please help, maybe the solution is simple, but I have really no clue how to fix that back.

My OS is Vista Ultimate x64 English version, running on high end PC, and really Cmud was working great until latest patch.

Thanks for any help.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:26 pm   

Check out these two threads about getting zMUD to work under Vista. If you have more problems than that, post about them in the zMUD forum and see if someone knows how to fix them.

SJ Hook wrote:
my personal files for Cmud where inside Cmud directory so they are deleted as well

It's probable that they weren't. The default option is %My Documents%\My Games\CMUD\ and since you weren't running CMUD as an administrator all the time, that's where they'd have to be.

Also, there's a simple way to create a new layout file for your session. I believe there's a key you can hold down to create a new layout, but I don't remember what it was. The other way is to edit the session, and on the Files tab, uncheck Use Layout.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:25 pm   

holding down the SHIFT key when you connect/open in offline mode will abort the layout, the same as if you unchecked the Use Layout beforehand (except I think SHIFT might be a temporary thing rather than automatically deleting/clearing out the layout file).
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:47 am   

By default, CMUD stores program files in your "Program Files/CMUD" directory, and stores your user files in "Documents/My Games/CMUD" directory. Make sure you removed both area. The uninstaller removes the Program Files area, but does not remove the My Documents/My Games/CMUD directory, and that's probably where the bad layout files are stored that are causing problems.

As Matt mentioned, holding down Shift when you use the Offline action will force CMUD to recreate your layout file if it's corrupted.

CMUD v1.25 had *significant* changes to layouts and multiplaying, but once the layout is fixed (using the Shift key method), then it should work better than in v1.24. It was actually bugs in v1.24 that corrupted the layout file so that 1.25 and 1.26 couldn't work well with it.
SJ Hook
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:35 pm   

Hi again...
Just testing the "Shift" trick, and im more and more confused.
But first I want to let U know, that I know that Cmud is using by default the Documents/My Games/CMUD, and thats why Im always selecting the second options, to store that in my Cmud main directory. And just in case, I was checking every time my Documents/My Games directory, no Cmud files there. Im pretty sure, that after uninstalation there is no Cmud files on my entire disk, not in Program files (x86) and not in Documents/My Games too. But, the weird layout is back every second run after clean instalation.
So, I just did another fresh, clean instalation. Im starting the Cmud, and BEFORE sessions selection window pop up, I have already bad layout. But ok, im holding a Shift key and opening my session, and indeed its change something - now I dont have ANY command line, status bar, and my mapper is still undocked and I cant dock him back. But its not freezing anymore. This is insaine. Shocked
Ok, im writing this post and testing, with the SHIFT trick, I was able to save the layout to main Cmud directory and overwrited the cmud.xly file, now I can start any session without SHIFT, no freezing so far. But, still no status bar, no command bar, and weird mapper locations.
My oh my...
Lets see if I remove Cmud again, settings will be back like before....
SJ Hook
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:51 pm   

OMG guys.. U will not believe me...

I just started Cmud as administrator, and EVERYTHING is normal, I have status bar, command bar, mapper is docked..... everything is in place and working correctly....
I was runing Cmud for more than a month without administrators rights, and everything was working perfect, without any problems..... and now this...
And I have really no idea whats going on, where the old weird settings are coming back when Im running Cmud without Administrator rights.
So, we should sticky this somewhere, that running Cmud on Vista requires enabling Administrator rights for Cmud.
Thanks for help guys.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:56 pm   

No, it doesn't. What this means is that either you didn't install it using the defaults in the installer, or else the system permissions or directories are set up weird on your Vista system. When you install on Vista, you MUST select the %Documents%/My Games/CMUD option (which is the default) for the location of your data files. If you select one of the other options, then the Vista UAC system will not let you write (save) your user files (like settings, packages, etc) without running as Admin.

I've got CMUD running on a Vista laptop with the default installer settings working just fine and I don't need to run it as admin. Running as admin is just a "fix" for getting around the new User Access Controls in Vista when software isn't installed to the correct places.

If it worked once before and then stopped working, my guess is that the permissions on one of your files or folders might have gotten changed somehow. With some of the bad Vista experience I am getting this weekend, anything is possible.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:59 pm   

Oh, and I just read your other post above that I didn't see the first time. If you selected the Documents/My Games/CMUD option when installing and nothing got added there when you ran CMUD the first time, then something is messed up in your system registry. If you look in REGEDIT in Local Machine/Software/Zuggsoft/CMUD you should see a DataDir key. This is the directory where CMUD looks for user files. It can be overridden by a key in Current User/Software/Zuggsoft/CMUD (also called DataDir). Make sure these registry keys are set properly. If they are not set to a directory that exists, then CMUD defaults to putting files wherever the CMUD.EXE is installed, and this will cause the problem requiring the Run As Admin that you mentioned.
SJ Hook
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:34 pm   

I have Zuggsoft under Local User, with DataDir set correctly to C:/Program files (x86)/Cmud.
But still, when I disable Administrator rights, my Cmud is loading with weird settings and layouts.
And U miss understand me, probebly of my bad english, I was saying above that Im always installing my local files to Program files(x86)/Cmud directory, so no other files exist under 'My games' directory. I think thats one reason for enabling Administrator rights to run Cmud now, but when I tryied to instal to default locations - My games - weird settings are back too, no difference.
This is just strange, where are they stored ??? I cant find them on disc, but maybe im not looking for the right file.
But again, Cmud was running really perfectly (starting without Administrator rights all the time) for over 5 weeks, all files where in Program files(x86)/Cmud, but everything changed after update. Strange. I dont understand that for now.
My Vista is 6 weeks old, I didnt change any default settings or variables, no need to, so I think thats not the problem.
Still testing....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: