Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kbl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:33 pm   

List of Muds who have implemented MXP

Is there any? Anyone a guru at the implementation? Here is my concern:

Ok, nice idea. So, that means we need active development on the Mud Driver code to implement this solution. Everything that is coded now, is effected.

No where in Zugg's doc does it give any examples of Mud who have implemented this and where this truely needs to be implemented to be most efficent, and not kill server/user by creating so much lag that the Mud becomes unplayable.

Also, remember this: XML, which this MXP is 'loosely' based upon, bloats the text sent back to the client even more than we already send. No where is the issue of text compression addressed in Zugg's doc's. I.E. with XML, there are hardware as well as software compression solutions, but those require intensive ALU computations, so most infrastructures prefer to have seperate inline device infront of their server, doing the compression... an expense I'm sure our server owner will not support.

This line tells it all:

"To implement MXP on a MUD server requires some attention. Most important, you need some way to activate the MXP text output on the MUD."

To active this, is to tag EVERY piece of text produced within the Mud, from every object to conform to MXP. So, where is that best done? Too me, it's driver level, not Mudlib level. So, any MXP implementation guru's stepping forward offering their advice?

Like to get Zugg's comments on that. Thanks in advance. Smile

-Kbl, Admin of DuneMud
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:59 pm   

MXP actually allows for the implentantion where only lines targetted by the coders and implementators of the MUD are tagged with extra information. MXP allows for the implementation to have as little or as much as coders want. Perhaps you should read through the documents again. The standard Zugg proposed in those documents was widely accepted by many client developers and even more MUD coders. There have been a few minor changes sine the last time that acceptance was voiced, but for the most part those documents actually display a consensus that was achieved. Perhaps as an implentor of a MUD you should apply to the Developers forum; then look at all the discussion that took place many years ago.
kbl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:40 am   

Thanks for the quick response. Smile

Have applied to the Developers forum, but as of yet, have not been granted access. Maybe we could talk. Trust me, I like the proposal but the implementation has to be to me like: link another lib to the driver source and then start utilizing those APIs. If it's not that level and just as simplistic as tagging text from the LPC side, then that becomes a phased in approach to bring some part of MUD into MXP compliance.

DuneMud is at dune.servint.com 6789 and I'm kbl there as well. Cool

-Kbl
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: