Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:35 pm   

[1.17] CMUD/Vista d3drm.dll

Clean Vista (v6.0.6000) install
Clean CMUD 1.17 install

When you close CMUD you get a message saying
"This program requires a missing Windows component"
"This program requires D3DRM.dll, which is no longer included in this version of Windows."

Google shows D3DRM.dll to be part of DirectX 9
Vista ships with DirectX 10

Doesn't seem to be causing much of a problem (though only installed and opened CMUD for 30 seconds or so)
Tempest[Prime]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:37 pm   

Getting it here as well.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:17 pm   

Anyone have any idea what D3DRM.dll is used for? And if they removed it in DirectX 9 then what is it replaced with in DirectX 10? I find it very wierd that you get the error message when *exiting* CMUD rather than when starting it. Makes me wonder if this is actually still a bug in Vista.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:25 pm   

It looks like it's been deprecated in DirectX 10. As per this link (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnlong/html/AppComp.asp?frame=true#appcomp_topic14)

It's for Direct 3D Retained Mode... whatever that is. My only 3d graphics programming was in OpenGL. But anywhere here's a link that could shed some light. http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/dnardir3d/html/d3dapi.asp
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:40 pm   

I thought Vista was supposed to come with DirectX10 support and DX9 backwards compatibility?

Anyhow.. according to this, retained mode hasn't been updated since DirectX3.. so that would be long since deprecated
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:04 am   

Hmm, not sure I'm going to be happy with Vista if it doesn't support DX9 properly...I have a *lot* of games. Hopefully they will improve this when people complain about it.

Anyway, I'll see if I can find where that DLL is referenced in CMUD. I'm using 3rd party DirectX components (DelphiX) and I have the source code, so I should be able to find the reference to that DLL and remove it in a future version.

I still think it's wierd that it gives the error on exit instead of on startup.
raahu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:52 pm   

Did you try installing DX9 from the microsoft site? Vista doesn't come with DX9, but you can download and install it. I have a lot of money invested in games too :).
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:51 pm   

I'd expect if you try and install DX9 then it'll tell you that you already have DX10. I wouldn't worry about it though, as much as people like to slate MS, they're far too savvy to remove games compatibility when they're hawking a new OS. By the sound of it this dll is something hungover from DX3, and it doesn't actually stop CMUD working either.

From Wikipedia
Quote:
Direct3D initially implemented "retained mode" and "immediate mode" 3D APIs. The retained mode was a COM-based scene graph API that attained little adoption. Game developers clamored for more direct control of the hardware's activities than the Direct3D retained mode could provide. Only one game that sold a significant volume, Lego Island, was based on the Direct3D retained mode, so Microsoft did not update the retained mode after DirectX 3.0.

DX3 was in 1996, so it's already 10 years old, about from the same time that zMUD was at v3.x as a 16 bit app ;)
i.e. long since made obsolete
raahu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:29 pm   

Actually DX9 will install correctly, I run a number of my games in Vista with DX9... Oblivion, M2TW and Caesar 4 being the latest.

The reason why this works is that DX10 uses a completely different architecture and provides no backwards compatibility like older versions did, so it allows side by side install with DX9 for compat.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:52 pm   

Quote:
The reason why this works is that DX10 uses a completely different architecture and provides no backwards compatibility like older versions did, so it allows side by side install with DX9 for compat.

Wow, that's very interesting! I would have never guess that. I would have thought (like Guinn) that it wouldn't let you do it. Well, if DX9 and DX10 are different and can coexist on the same system, then Microsoft really needs to install DX9 by default. Otherwise a ton of games are going to break.

Anyway, I think I've got the D3DRM.DLL reference removed in CMUD for v1.19.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:26 am   

Confirmed, fixed in 1.19
Cheers
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:50 pm   

Cool, thanks for letting me know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: