Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum
mikele
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:04 am   

[1.16]The problem with #backup have not fixed?

I found a problem with #backup in zmud7.x and reported it two weeks ago.I'm told that it will be fixed in CMUD new version.I downloaded CMUD1.16 today and find the problem is still there.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:40 am   

This is a feature of #BACKUP, not a bug. This command waits for confirmation that you have moved in the reverse direction. Thus, until that information comes the path is not updated.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:57 am   

What a pity!I have to use zmud4.62 because of only one command.
I'm sure it's a bug.I suggest you have a try:#sl .swse and #stop at the end of path.Now,#backup 4 times.what the result?
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:24 am   

Nah, you can use some combination of #ok and triggers I'm sure.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:52 am   

Hmm, my apologies. I still don't believe it to be a bug, however. I think Zugg simply made it more of a speedwalk-resumption tool for when you bump into a wall or move in an invalid direction or under invalid conditions (ie, having to get on a ferry and the ferry hasn't yet docked, causing you to get some sort of "you can't go there" message).

I can certainly see how multiple #BACKUPs would be useful rather than initiating another short walk, but I'd have to say this is simply an issue with an ambiguous help file in this case.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:59 am   

I have tried #ok,but I can't find a method to resolve.
Not only one people being puzzled by this problem,I find a topic about it:http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=22274.
It seems that there isn't any method to resolve this problem expediently.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:44 am   

That's what I was going off of when I first responded. Vijilante knows a lot more than I do (or, rather, is a lot more familiar with it), so it's all but a national holiday when I trump him or point out something he missed/didn't bother with.

#BACKUP, as far as I messed around with it, seems to be acting very solidly hence my second response. Unless Vijilante, another more-experienced Guru, or Zugg comes around with a more detailed explanation saying otherwise, I believe it's working exactly as it's supposed to be working.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:12 am   

Incontestably,#backup is more useful in zmud4.62 than in zmud7.x and cmud.I don't know why it have been changed.
I still have to use 4.62 before I find out a method to replace using #backup.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:26 am   

I have to agree that help file is quite ambiguous, and the content in it is the original content from when the command was first added. I also can't find any reference to #BACKUP changing its behavior in the zMud version history. So there is no way for me really to dig through my zMud archive to see if it ever had a different behavior. I am certainely willing to entertain the idea that it used to behave differently. The topic you referenced in the zMud forums was nearly a year old at the start, and very few people have ever asked anything about it. I am going to lock this topic just to let things cool a little.

My suggestion is write a Feature Request post and tell us what you want #BACKUP to do, what it currently does in different speed walk modes, and why you think that it would be better. That is the whole point of how Zuggsoft works. Players request a feature, sometimes a few of us talk about it some and then, as if by magic, it appears in a future version.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:25 am   

No, mikele is correct, the #backup command is bugged in both CMUD and zMUD. However, mikele, I do not believe that I said anything about fixing it in the *next* version. I think I said it would be fixed in a *future* version. Your bug is on my list but I have many other higher priority bugs to fix first, sorry.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: