Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:46 pm   

[1.13] Converting windows to modules.

I was playing with windows and modules yesterday and managed to get what seemed at the time to be some very obscure crashes. I've managed to reliably reproduce them today.

(Note: I understand that it's probably not intended for users to do this, but a novice might not. I'd prefer it if the user wasn't able to do it at all, or at least warned about the consequences.)

Basically, this revolves around converting the only window in a package into a module, leaving the package devoid of windows. If you do this to the current (and only) package and then try to close the session, CMUD will error and you'll have to close the program. It even errors if you just try to exit the program.

Secondly, if you edit the session so that its main package is one with no windows (or indeed try to reopen the bugged session we just created reproducing the "close session" bug) then CMUD will error when you open the session - and if you don't close the program, create an entire new package with the same name as the old one in the CMUD directory containing nothing but a window.

If you do close the program, CMUD will change the default package of your session to default.pkg, presumably to stop the error from happening next time you try to open your session. The only problem is that default.pkg ALSO contains no windows, only a published module with the system folder inside. So all the user has done is changed their window to a module and close the session, and now their session is stuck erroring every time they open it, with none of their settings in sight.

PS. I noticed while trying to reproduce this bug that rclicking in the "open" dialog behaves very strangely. If you rlick in white space, nothing happens. If you rclick on a file, you get no "paste" option even if you have something on the clipboard. If you rclick on a folder, you get the paste option but obviously it pastes your file into that folder. It's not as intuitive as just entering the folder, rclicking and pasting, and to make a copy of something in the same folder as the source, you have to go up a layer and paste into the folder from there.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:11 pm   

The issue with the "open" dialog is because CMUD is not using the standard "Explorer Shell" dialog for the File Open dialogs in many cases. This is because the Windows Shell dialogs don't support the theme engine that is used in CMUD. So I had to write my own file open dialog, and it doesn't necessarily have all of the obscure features of the standard windows shell.

On the issue of changing the only window into a module, you raise good points. I'll add those to the bug list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: