Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:03 pm   

Mapping Vehicles

So... what would be the best method to represent a vehicle (horse, car, boat, etc) on the map?
Ideally i would want this graphical representation to follow my #LOC when it is in use, yet still have a way for me to see whee I left it when not in use.

I could just use a new #LOC for it...
But some vehicles are a room or few unto themselves.
And how can you tell how many #LOCs are in a single room when they seem to overlay each other?

How hard would it be to share #LOC data with a separate instance of CMUD on another machine short of in game communication?
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:47 pm   

You could use multiple locations, which I think can be assigned names. Visually speaking, you may just be out of luck in trying to identify what all is in the room but because of location names you should be able to scriptomatically determine what is where pretty easily.

As for sharing them across separate computers, you would probably best be served by a hosting service just like you might use to store packages and other datafiles. Because these are separate instances of CMud, there's not going to be ANY sort of control over when stuff gets read/written, so you might want to maintain a separate text file for each instance to be used to broadcast their stuff. Each instance would have a file-fetcher to keep the local copies updated, a file-reader to pull in info about the other instances, and a file-writer to update their own text file for others to use.
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:30 pm   

My problem here is that my vehicle has 5 rooms all its own.

Only one of the rooms allows you to move the vehicle around.
And those movement commands are different from moving within the vehicle.

So how do i keep track of my position 'in the vehicle' on the map, as well as the vehicle's location within the game world?
Preferably with both 'on screen' at the same time.
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:17 am   

Hm. I would suggest making a new #LOCATION for the vehicle, and set up your vehicle movement commands to change that #LOC. Then, set up the exit from the vehicle to #TELEPORT you to the location of the vehicle.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:45 am   

How could i superimpose my zone map for the vehicle on top of the area zone that it is located in?
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:46 am   

Quote:

My problem here is that my vehicle has 5 rooms all its own.

This is irrelevant. While technically it's very much possible to change a room object's X/Y/Z values via SQL and Zmapper COM object scripting, these changes are not going to show up in your mapper window and could potentially lead to crashing or other issues. Therefore, your vehicle is going to "look" and "act" like any other normal zone or related group of rooms within a zone.

Quote:

Only one of the rooms allows you to move the vehicle around.
And those movement commands are different from moving within the vehicle.

If you have to remain in this room in order for the vehicle to move (that is, it won't keep moving on its own through momentum or autopilot, or you have to manually stop the vehicle before you're allowed to leave), then all you need to do is to use #LOCATION to set up a new location object when you acquire ownership of the vehicle (#UNLOC if you lose ownership to it) and #TRACK it so that the mapper will automatically update this location object's vnum when it detects room movement. Other than scripts to help the mapper track movement, you're all done.

Quote:

Preferably with both 'on screen' at the same time.

There can be multiple locations shown in the mapper. There are really only two issues that affect this:

1)the rooms where either of these locations are might not be within the viewable area of the mapper
2)when multiple locations are in the same room, the topmost location will cover up the other locations beneath it

Technically a third issue may arise involving room and location color being the same value, but that's not really normal and it's easily changed anyways. If you want this information to always be on-screen, you'll need to include a separate script involving, say, a status object or a print to another window.
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:35 am   

im taking about showing two zones on the map at once, one with the location object for my character, and the other with the location object for the vehicle
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:01 pm   

Unfortunately, you can't display two zones on the map at once. You'll have to look at either one or the other at a time.

However, you could set up triggers and aliases to let you switch which location you are following on the map, perhaps triggering in part on whether you are using vehicle movement commands or personal movement commands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: