Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 pm   

Center map by vNum from command line / script?

I'd like to change the map display by centering on any given room by referencing the room with its vNum. Is there a simple way to do this?

It occurs to me that one method would be to save the current room's vNum, then change the location of the current marker to the desired room. If the map can be re-centered on the current room via a command (in addition to Ctl-W hen the map has the focus), then after re-centering, the marker can be moved back to the previously saved vNum.

Alternately, assuming there's a command-equivalent or similar for Ctl-W, there may be a command-equivalent for Ctl-Q? If so, a command-equivalent for selecting a room via vNum would get the job done in fewer steps.

Basically, I want to be able to find a room via %mapquery, and then get close to that room, but NOT walk to that room completely. So a quick display of the map around that room would make a double-click on the map easy. Using #PATHHIGH could show the route to the room, which could be followed by scrolling the map, but not by click-dragging the map (which would un-highlight the path). Using the scroll bars to move the map display while in follow mode is pretty awkward for potentially long distances.

Perhaps #MENU or #CMD is a route to the solution? Change the focus to the Mapper window (how?), then execute a menu command ({view|Center ...?})

Anyone have an idea or some insight?
ins0mnia
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:22 am   

#LOC TargetRoom #
#TRACK TargetRoom

then #TRACK CharName or whatever to return

#UNLOC TargetRoom, to cleanup

Edit: caveat to this is you can't simply double-click to move anymore, you'd need to get the # of the room nearby before you #TRACK back to your character since it will re-center the map
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:29 am   

Ah, that is a simple way. New marker, track it to get the desired view, then delete it. Thanks much.

EDIT: Yeah, that is quite a caveat. I'll hunt for a solution. [generate a path from the original marker to a room near the new marker using #WITHLOC, or something like that]
ins0mnia
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:39 am   

Looked into it some more and found this

Each location marker can also be referenced wherever you would normally use a room key or number using the syntax ":locname". For example, to speedwalk from your current location to the location marker named "Party" you could use: #WALK :Party

So you can just #TRACK TargetRoom, set that loc's current position to where you want to walk, #TRACK CharName, and #WALK :TargetRoom instead of having to worry about typing in a vnum
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:35 am   

Yep, that'll do it. I think it's time for me to make keypad macros for #move [direction] with the Control or Alt key, so it will be as simple as Ctl+[key] [#WALK :Party macro-key]. Just a few keystrokes to move to near a very time-sensitive but dangerous destination.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: