Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:23 pm   

Extra CR/LF

I've got an alarm that fires every 30 seconds to collect xp info. It runs the following function:
Code:
$curTime = %eval(%time(h)*3600+%time(n)*60+%time(s))
$xp = %mud.xp
$rCount = %numrec("All", xp)
$avCount = @averagePeriod/@period
$xpData = 0
#IF ($rCount >= $avCount) {
  $recNum = %eval($rCount-$avCount)
  $xpData = ($xp + @spent - %db(%dbget(%concat($recNum, "xp")), xp)) * 3600/@averagePeriod}
#NEW xpTracking Time=$curTime Mxp=%eval($xp/1000000) xp=%mod($xp, 1000000) Mxpa=%eval($xpData/1000000) xpa=%mod($xpData, 1000000)

When it runs, a CR/LF appears in the main window, and I'd like to stop this. I've noted that many (all?) commands similarly force a CR/LF, which has always annoyed me, but because this function runs every 30 seconds, the phenomenon is now extremely irritating.

How do you prevent the extraneous Linefeeds?
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:29 am   

Try gagging it. BTW, you don't need all the %evals in your script, just putting parentheses around an expression is enough to evaluate it (in almost all cases), and it'll run much faster that way.
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:43 am   

Gagging these blank lines (^$) doesn't work.

I wish there was some help document to explain the basic overview of zScript from a coder's perspective. Such as when things are evaluated, when they're not, and all the other basic properties of a coding / scripting language. I can write in several programming languages, but I've found so many inconsistencies in zScript that I've pretty much given up ever understanding when variables are expanded and when they're not, when expressions are evaluated and when they're not, etc.

I've decided the most sanity-saving approach is to force expansion everywhere when developing a new script, lest it fail because somewhere something was unexpectedly left unevaluated. Then the script can be pared down.

And "In almost all cases" are probably the four most dreaded words when coding. :P
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:20 pm   

There is nothing in the code you present that should be sending a CRLF to the screen. Are you certain it is coming from this code segment? Can you narrow down the specific line that is causing the CRLF? What commands do you think send a CRLF that shouldn't?
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:35 pm   

Hmm, maybe it's the alarm?

#ALARM "xpAlarm" *@period {@xpTick()} xpTracking
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:42 pm   

The alarm itself firing shouldn't cause a crlf, but the xpTick function could...
EDIT: Oh wait, I guess that's the function in your original post, ignore me Embarassed You could try putting #CALL in front of it though, in general you should never start a line with a function, you'll want to put a command like #CALL or #SHOW or #EXEC first.
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:14 pm   

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "%mud.xp"? I can't find it in the function reference... is it specific for your mud? That's the only line of code I can see that ~might~ cause a linefeed. You're not sending anything to the mud to get the xp sent back, right? If you are, try using #SENDRAW.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:49 pm   

%mud is a predefined variable that retrives mxp entities, comparable to %gmcp and %gsl.
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:08 pm   

I'm familiar with %gsl. Is it directly comparable, as in the MUD sends it whenever it updates and CMUD stores the value until it's needed (whether it is or not)? Or does the %mud function initiate communication, requesting the information and having the MUD send the requested information behind the scenes?

If the former, I'm flummoxed why there would be an extra CR, unless it's fixed using #CALL. If the latter, the LF is probably coming from the MUD with that info, and a #GAG may be in order to prevent the extra LF.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:20 pm   

I changed the alarm definition to

#ALARM xpAlarm *@period {#CALL @xpTick()} xpTracking

removing the quotes around the name, and adding #CALL. No extra CR/LF now.

How each mud uses entities is up to the mud developers, so there is no way to be sure how any given mud updates, for example, %mud.xp. That said, my mud publishes entity updates (xp, hp, burden, etc) each time you send text to the mud, which is not necessarily when the entity values change - that is, value updates and value publication are asynchronous. I have no experience with other muds, but I imagine they use such entities similarly.
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:05 pm   

The important thing is that you have a solution now. =) Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: