Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
VasoolXanatov

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:48 pm   

CMUD freezes up when resizing windows

I want to thank you folks for answering my question the other day about font sizes, it was really nice to see such prompt support. Now I'm having an issue with the software itself, and I was hoping you could help here too. OK, if you need more or different information to help diagnose this problem, please ask I'll provide it, I'm not really a programmer so I don't know what you all need to know.

CMUD v. 3.32
Windows 7 (64)

Problem I'm having: When I try to resize my CMUD window using the mouse along the edge, it keeps causing it to freeze up. It's my understanding that this is an issue with the word wrap associated with having too many lines in the scrollback buffer. I happen to like having my scrollback set to something obscenely large so that I can go back hours later and retrieve session information that happened without having to actually log everything. The problem is, that once I get too many lines in my scrollback buffer, if I try to resize the window manually it gets too hung up trying to fix the word wrap that it freezes the program entirely, forcing me to do a manual shutdown via task manager. I often like to resize the right hand side of the screen to allow for a tiny internet window so I can watch miniature movies while I'm online (hulu, et cetera) Other times I want CMUD to cover that area of the screen so I often have reason to resize a couple inches left or right depending on what I'm doing.

Solutions I'm hoping might be available: Is it possible to clear the scrollback buffer from the command line, or any other place? If I knew I was about to resize my window, I could clear the scrollback buffer and do the resize and that should do the trick to keep it from freezing up. Or, is there some setting where I can disable word wrapping of the previously viewed text in the buffer when I do a resize? Essentially, I would envision that the new text coming from the mud would conform to the new size of the window, but the text in the scrollback buffer could stay the same, perhaps giving me a scrollbar on the bottom of my window for movement to the right and left if I want to scroll back up and view the old text.

Hope that wasn't too confusing, like I said I'm not really a computer guy persay, I just really like playing muds. Thanks for any and all help you can provide, you folks have been really great so far!
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:37 pm   

#CLR will clear the scrollback buffer, but that's a permanent solution so you wouldn't be able to go back into the scrollback after using it.
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:02 pm   

As for your second part, no, there is no way to keep the scrollback buffer from trying to rewrap text when the window is resized.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:57 pm   

well there is, but you have to turn off wordwrapping.
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:16 pm   

Also consider making your scrollback buffer smaller. I've seen people set this to huge numbers, like 10,000 lines. If you do this you need to ask yourself if you *really* need all of that scrollback? Do you ever scrollback that far to look at something? If you are just trying to keep a record of your session, logging can be better than a huge scrollback.

I personally set my scrollback to 1000 lines and don't have any problems resizing the window with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: