Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Shezmu
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:25 pm   

Counting occurences in string

Okay, some of the more advanced CMud users will laugh at me for this one. I'm trying to count the number of occurences of the word "and" in the following string:

You join Steve and Mary and Mark and Frank and John in a threnody ritual.

What I want to build is a counter that shows me how many people are already in the ritual (to which I will increment when additional people join in until we reach enough people to complete the ritual.)

Like I said, this should be an easy one to solve, but I'm wracking my brain trying to find it. Suggestions?
DraxDrax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:17 pm   

%eval(%numwords("<string>"," and ")-1) should give you the number of times 'and' occurs in the string, or 0 if it doesn't appear.

#SAY %eval(%numwords("You join Steve and Mary and Mark and Frank and John in a threnody ritual."," and ")-1)
returns 4.

Be sure to have spaces around the 'and' or the count will include other words which contain 'and', like someone named Moander, for instance.
Shezmu
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:36 am   

Worked perfectly, Drax. Thanks for the help. I knew someone could answer this one easily. I'm still learning the ropes with CMud. Just switched over after Portal went under. I promise, I'll be back with more questions ;)
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:26 pm   

You don't actually need %eval there. Just use parentheses:
(%numwords("You join Steve and Mary and Mark and Frank and John in a threnody ritual."," and ")-1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: