Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:21 am   

[1.33] Opening Mapper crashes CMud

OK, I've tried this a few ways, and every attempt has crashed CMud completely.

Having had a LOT of problems with CMud, and having feared it may be due to no "fresh" installation since the early 1.0x releases, I backed-up my settings to XML, uninstalled Cmud, deleted the Program Files/Cmud folder, and re-installed from a fresh download from the website. Starting up my main session and restoring my settings from the XML files seems to have worked, so I started creating my secondary session... again, I restored settings from XML files.

Now, I don't use the mapper on my primary session, but I do on the secondary... I have a backup of the .mdb file to restore, but first I needed CMud to create one that I could replace, so with my secondary session window active, I clicked the "Map" button. Oddly enough, this opened the "Map for <primary session>" window (which was a flat grey, completely empty window), and crashed CMud.

So for a second attempt, I closed CMud, opened ONLY the secondary session, and attempted to open the Map window again... this time, it opened "Map for" (no session name followed)... was another completely blank grey window, and crashed.

Fearing somehow some corruption got through the XML restore (as unlikely as that sounds), I deleted the secondary session from CMud, closed CMud, and deleted that folder entirely. I then re-opened CMud, created that session again, without restoring ANY settings from anything, opened the session offline, and attempted to open the Mapper. The result was the same as the last attempt: "Map for", blank window, crash.

Deleted secondary session again, completely, re-opened CMud, and just for completeness, attempted to open the mapper directly for my primary session... got a nice "Map for <primary session>", blank grey window with another crash.

*sigh* And to think I had the mapper working before I re-installed... and all I wanted was for my trigger to work properly (which still doesn't, by the way)
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:31 am   

I'm not sure if the mapper errors or crashes elegantly when it encounters a permission problem. It's unlikely. Are you on Vista? If you are, and you have UAC enabled (it's on by default) then you either need to run CMUD as admin or keep all your CMUD data in the my documents folder rather than the CMUD folder. You can choose where CMUD's data is kept during installation.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:39 am   

Running XP Service Pack 2, as Administrator, data in the Program Files/CMud folder. Same settings as I used for my last installation, in which the mapper did work... I can't explain why it isn't working now.
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:40 am   

Are you deleting the *.PKG file that it creates for your session? CMUD stores the name of the map file to open in your *.PKG file. And yes, you will probably have problems trying to open the map for a "secondary" session. The mapper doesn't handle multiple sessions very well, and this won't be fixed until the mapper rewrite I'm afraid. Even zMUD had some issues with opening multiple map windows for multiple sessions...it was really easy to get it confused.
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:35 am   

Deleted the entire session folder... which had the .PKG file in it, so unless there are remnants of the session remaining in the root CMud folder, then I think I obliterated the session completely.

I think I remember having issues with secondary mapper windows before, so I did make attempts with only a single session open, sadly I cannot get the mapper to open for any combination of new/restored/single/multiple sessions I attempt.

I think I might try one more complete reinstall and attempt to open a mapper window straight-off before I make any attempts at multiple sessions or restorations from XML files or anything... I really need the mapper for that session, and I really would hate to have to go back to zMud until it's all working :(
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:54 am   

*sigh* Completely fresh installation... created a new session, opened it offline, clicked the Map button... crash :(
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:45 pm   

I am also having problems with opening the map window with CMud 1.33. I just re-installed CMud 1.33 from scratch to check if it was the upgraded installation. I then re-imported the config file from Zmud. When I try and open the map window CMud crashes. (I tried to send a bug report but this also failed with an error message).

I then uninstalled CMud 1.33 and reinstalled from scratch (after deleting all Cmud directories) the last version I had which is 1.28 Beta. I then re-imported the Zmud config file and this time no errors were reported and Cmud runs just fine again when I open the map window.

Not sure what this proves, other than at the moment v1.33 is unusable for the Zmud config file I am using.

Just in case it matters all this is on XP with up to date patches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: