Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
cuprohastes
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:41 pm   

[1.12] Version 1.12 killed all my aliases. (Gotcha, not bug)

I had a LOT of aliases. Format:

Code:
#alias pna {page Name~=%params}
#alias wna {page Name~=%params}

To let me whisper or page by typing
Code:
wna Hoi!

to send
Code:
Whisper Name=Hoi!"

I used hte ID field to name all my aliases so I could find them - e.g. "Page Name (pna)" Simple, huh?

Except now, not a single alias works because Zugg's changed the ID field - so could someone explain how to convert my aliasesto the new system, or work out how to convert aliases so when other people upgrade their aliases aren't broken?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:13 pm   

If you set the ID name for an alias, then you need to use the ID name in the command line to execute the alias. If you open your settings editor and look at the aliases, you will probably see your ID value in the Name field for the Alias. Just change the name of each alias back to the short name (like pna) that you used before. If you want to organize your aliases so that you can find them, then put them into a class folder. That's what class folders are for. If you want to add a comment to document what the alias does, then use the comment field in the Advanced panel. This comment will be shown in the status bar when you select the alias.

This change was made because Aliases (and many other settings types) really just used the short ID field and didn't fully support the longer Name field, even though you could technically edit it. It actually made things very confusing. The Name field was originally added for things like triggers that had long patterns (longer than the 64 character limit for ID values). But for aliases, variables, paths, classes, etc, the ID field was normally the same as the Name field and this was redundant and confusing. So v1.12 removed the longer Name field for those settings and just uses the ID field.

For most users, the ID field was the same as the Name field so this won't effect many people. Also, as I've said before for beta versions, I'm not doing a lot to support upgrades from previous beta versions. This change doesn't effect people migrating from zMUD, and existing beta users should be able to understand how to change their own settings to make them work when big changes like this are made.

In any case, you should be able to just edit your aliases to change their names. If this doesn't work, let me know.
cuprohastes
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:25 pm   

1: OK. That works fine. For some reason the first time I tried that, it did not work.
2: I tried class folders first, but all the aliases stopped working in one of hte earlier builds. That seems to work fine now... Sorry!
3: I understand the whole Beta upgrade/support thing. I was more trying to explain that there was a potential problem that's not a bug, just somehting to be aware of if you're about to upgrade. I was trying to behelpful rahter than bitching or whining. No worries though, the bit about the memo field is something I didn't know - Useful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: