Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
hpoonis2010
Adept

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:46 am   

MultiState button

I want to set up a multistate button which affects the outcome of another button.

EG.,

A 'bash' button which (obviously) bashes a target.

Aardwolf has a bunch of (I think superfluous) trainable skills which all perform the same damage and often at the same level.

Level 1
kick
dirt kicking
black root

Level 4
trip

As you can see, there is little point in using the level 1 skill once a higher level skill has been learned.

Currently, I have a class set for each possible skill and it only activates once the trained level is 50% or above and this activates a premade button which I can click and perform that skill. However, the previous skills still exist as available buttons. So, given the redundancy in skills available/learned, I though that I could just use the class (when activated) to set a possible button state rather than a separate button. I just select which skill via button state selection and that populates a variable that the 'BASH' button uses.

Does this make sense so far?

So...the question is:

How to set a button state via script?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:56 pm   

That seems overly complicated to me.
Buttons are meant to be clicked, and only the most simple of clicks can be done via script (no selecting from an option list).
The #STATE command is meant to be used in #TRIGGERs and knows to target the current trigger firing.
As such, I'm not sure how to do it the way you suggest.

I would just use a #SWITCH in the body of the button, assuming you know which level you are, and which skills replace which.

#SWITCH (@level) (1) {kick} (4) {trip}
Adept

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:41 pm   

The problem is that skills are available at different levels for different class/race mix so I couldn't say for certain which skills would be for which level.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:15 am   

Well, you know the ones for the mixes you play at least, you just need more precise expressions in the #SWITCH, just make sure to order it properly, the first match is the one that fires.
Adept

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:46 pm   

It is working fine. It IS a shame that button states cannot be handled as other items that can be put into classes as it means there is no easy way to turn off unwanted states without turning off the entire button. IT would make the code a LOT easier.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:10 pm   

You could have multiple buttons that occupy the same real estate and make sure only one of them is enabled at a time.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:20 am   

This may not be what you desire but If it was me I would make a simple #SWITCH for the skills list from highest level to lowest to prioritize the 'better' ones.
hpoonis2010
Adept

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:15 am   

Already tried something similar by having each button in a class that gets activated when the skills is practiced to a certain level, or if the skill is already practiced by a previous remort, re-activated when that skill/spell becomes available.

The problem is that the previous (weaker) skills/spells are still there unless I manually deactivate them.

As for 'stacking' buttons...that seems a bit messy really.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:53 am   

It is very much a mess, which is why I first suggested the #SWITCH
Adept

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:36 am   

Ah! But if only development was not stagnant/dead then modifications could be made. If classes can be switched on and off and button can be created destroyed then button states shouldn't create any headaches to offer the same facilities.

Maybe if you know the guy you could offer to work on it. You seem to be a competent sort of chap whose dedication to this software, and the people who bought it and use it, extends far beyond that of the guy still taking full price for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: