Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Scarn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:22 pm   

Editing data within a buried string.

I want to edit data that is within one of my strings. For reasons that will be hard to put into words, to access it I need to go through another string.

Here is my situation:

Code:
var "Equipment" =                                     A finely-shaped pearl carapace|A black set of leather and ring mail leggings
var "A finely shaped pearl carapace" =                A finely-shaped pearl carapace|1700|300|carapace|1677.49699157641
var "A black set of leather and ring mail leggings" = A black set of leather and ring mail leggings|1000|200|leggings|983.754512635379

I can pull out all the information I need, for example if I wanted to access the "leggings" from the "A black set of leather and ring mail leggings" variable I can see it like this:

Code:
#SHOW @{@Equipment.2}.4

Or if I wanted to access the "1700" from the "A finely-shaped pearl carapace" variable:

Code:
#SHOW @{@Equipment.1}.2

I've tried following this format to change things, eg to turn 1700 to 1500:

Code:
#VAR {@Equipment.1}.2 1500

However I get an error that there are too many parenthesis, I cannot used the #DELNITEM and the #ADDITEM function, as the order of the rest of the string needs to stay as it is.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:05 am   

Is there a reason you're not using database variables? It seems like a data structure that looks something like this would be much easier to work with:
Code:
{"A finely-shaped pearl carapace" = "1700|300|carapace|1677.49699157641" | "A black set of leather and ring mail leggings" = "1000|200|leggings|983.754512635379"}

Then, using your examples, you could do something like this to access things:
Code:
#SHOW %item( %db( @Equipment, "A black set of leather and ring mail leggings"), 3)
#SHOW %item( %db( @Equipment, "A finely-shaped pearl carapace"), 1)

To change things, you could easily pull out a single item from the equipment variable into a local variable, set items to whatever you want, and push them back:
Code:
$carapace = %db( @Equipment, "A finely-shaped pearl carapace")
$carapace = %replaceitem( 1500, 1, $carapace)
#ADDKEY Equipment "A finely-shaped pearl carapace" $carapace
Scarn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:26 am   

Again that would only add the value to the end of the string, I need to change something within it. Eg, change @Equipment.3 without effecting the other 4.
Scarn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:35 am   

Ah actually it wouldn't, the reason I prefer not to use database variables is because I have an already pretty complex system in place that gets information from triggers sets up a whole chain of other events. This would mean reformatting how the whole script works, one day, but not today! :) I just want to get away from using DELITEM and ADDITEM, as it means I cannot add further information to my existing strings.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:07 am   

You might be able to do something like @{@Equipment.1} = "blah" but I'm not sure. You might be stuck building the command as a string and executing it, something like #execute %concat( "#var """, @{@Equipment.1}, """ {blah}"). (Another thing, your variable names probably shouldn't have spaces in them, I'm sure that's not helping matters either).
Scarn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:14 pm   

I mitigate the problems of spaces in my variables by using { }. The reason they have spaces is because I trigger mud output with %1 and that loads straight into the variable, makes life a lot easier. I'll look into concat, not used that function before. For now I just use DELNITEM and ADDITEM, but as previously stated, it isn't ideal.
Scarn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:17 pm   

Just testing using the = way of adding variables, doesn't like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: