Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
aslanthekat
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:45 pm   

Cmud & MySQL

I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind taking a little time and help me get started with this. I have tinkered with it on my own for a few hours and haven't made much progress. So I have a remote mysql server and I'm using
Code:
#SQLDB mydb dbname mysql hostname.com 3306 username passwd
and when I do, I don't receive any sort of message whether or not it has connected. I've put in fake hostnames and tried to connect and I don't receive any sort of error. But anyhow it seems to connect me because I have been successful in adding data to my remote database using...
Code:
%sql (myavdb, "INSERT INTO gear VALUES ('hit gear','something','something else','wield','5hr 5dr')")
This throws and error "Can not open a ResultSet" but still adds the data.

I am not able to return data from my database using select. When I query the database and #SHOW it just says <comobject>

Like I said, any help just getting started will be appreciated. Once I figure out the correct syntax etc I should be able to take over.
Thanks again
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:25 pm   

How are you "using" that line? If you are just executing that line as you have written it, the problem is that you are starting a command line with a %function. What it is doing is executing the function, and then trying to execute the result as a command. What you need to do is either a #CALL:
Code:
#CALL %sql...

or set the result to a value:
Code:
$sqlresult = %sql...

Basically, never start a command line with a function. Depending on what you intend to do, you should instead start it with #CALL, #SEND, #EXEC, #SAY, or something else like that.
aslanthekat
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:57 pm   

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry I was using #exec.
Code:
#exec %sql(myavdb, "INSERT INTO gear VALUES ('hit gear','something','something else','wield','5hr 5dr')")

Using #exec #call etc all give me the error about not being able to open a Resultset.

Also, how would I go about getting values. I tried
Code:
#show %sql(myavdb, "Select * from gear where type = 'wield'")

That just shows <COMobject>

Thanks
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:56 pm   

Well, #EXEC means "interpret the following, and then execute the result as a command". That's not what you want to do either. That's why I said that the command you want to use depends on what you are trying to do. #CALL should execute the function but do nothing with the result. Are you certain you got that error from #CALL? You didn't get it from #SHOW, so it looks to me like #CALL should not have given an error either.

For getting values, you need to set the result to a variable:
Code:
$sqlresult = %sql(...)

The variable becomes (as you have seen) a COMobject. A COMobject has a set of properties and methods that can be executed on it, using a dot notation--see the help page for %sql() to see what properties and methods are defined for that particular return value: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/modules/mx_kb/kb.php?mode=doc&k=3033

To display the value of the second row, third column, for instance, you could do:
Code:

$sqlresult = %sql(...)     // executes the query and stores the result in a variable
#CALL $sqlresult.First     // sets the current row of the variable to the first row
#CALL $sqlresult.Next      // sets the current row of the variable to the next (ie. 2nd) row
#SHOW $sqlresult.Item(3)   // displays the value of the third column of the current row

[edit]Actually, that gets you the value of the fourth column, because it is zero-based[/edit]
aslanthekat
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:09 pm   

Wanted to say thanks, The retrieving data is working great. However I still receive the error when I try to insert data. I double checked and made sure I was using #call
Code:
#call %sql(myavdb, "INSERT INTO gear VALUES ('hit gear','something','something else','wield','5hr 5dr')")

The message reads:
Quote:
Error parsing command
Can not open a ResultSet
#call %sql(myavdb, "INSERT INTO gear VALUES ('hit gear','something','something else','wield','5hr 5dr')")

Thanks again for the help
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:39 pm   

Hm. I haven't played with editing using the %sql functions, though I'm about to start a project involving that. I _think_ you need to make the edits in the COMobject, using .Item or .Edit methods, and then use the .Post method to get that back into the database. But I haven't worked with that to see how it is done yet.
aslanthekat
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:08 pm   

Anyone that might have been following this or might find it it in the future... The solution can be found in another thread.
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=166703#166703

Thanks for the help.
aslanthekat
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:56 pm   

one more quick thing(hopefully quick)

I want to do a select based off a variable. The code works if I replace @type with an actual value.
Code:
row = %sql(myavdb, "SELECT * FROM gear where type= '@type'")

but that doesn't work. It doesn't seem to be expanding the variable. so I tried
Code:
#show %concat("%sql",~(myavdb"," ~"SELECT * FROM gear where type= ',@type,'~"~))
it looks great and expands the variable but
Code:
row = %concat("%sql",~(myavdb"," ~"SELECT * FROM gear where type= ',@type,'~"~))
does not work.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:01 pm   

The problem is that your code:
Code:
%concat("%sql",~(myavdb"," ~"SELECT * FROM gear where type= ',@type,'~"~))

just returns a string. Sure, when you #show it it looks great, but assigning it to the row variable just assigns that string to the variable, it doesn't execute the %sql function. This should work:
Code:
row = %sql(myavdb, %concat("SELECT * FROM gear where type= '",@type,"'"))
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: