Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zerith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:44 am   

Where to put these scripts?

So, I'm starting to think I'm just plain dull. I see all these snazzy scripts and everything, but I have no idea where to put them. They have declarations like #CLASS (example) and #ALIAS (example) etc., so I have no idea if I'm supposed to put these in an alias, or a trigger, or what. Sorry if this question is just plain stupid, but I figured after spending several hours surfing online, it would just be faster to post here.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:19 am   

It sort of depends on exactly what it is and how big it is. For example, if we're talking about a code snippet that demonstrates some minor concept:

Code:

#if (@a = @b) {stuff to do for true} {stuff to do for false}

It generally means you need to find or create a trigger, alias, or whatever setting you wanted to put it in and then paste the code into the Script Text box for that setting. Sometimes you want to use basic commands from the commandline, but other than that the result of such code would just get sent to the game--something you really didn't want to happen.

However, sometimes you'll find a finished script with all the triggers, aliases, and whatnot in zscript form. Really small ones, say a single trigger or alias, you can just paste to the commandline and press enter and CMud will create that setting for you. Larger scripts need to be pasted into the CMud Text Editor (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER), which is essentially a gigantic-sized commandline.

After that, you might run into newer XML for things. CMud stores all scripts in XML format, which allows for extra options to be stored that are simply not included in the zscript syntax. While you need to be cognizant with regards to the completeness of the XML (ie, all the proper tags are included), you would just right-click and paste it straight to the Treeview panel showing all the classes and contained settings. I guess you could also paste it to the commandline/text editor, too, but I've never really seen anyone do it that way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:38 am   

Thank you so much! That is exactly what I needed, I was trying to figure out how people made these huge scripts without using like the package viewer thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: