Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Jim Vance
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:55 am   

Mapper Scripting Riddle

I am looking for a simple solution to an issue that I recently dreamed up. This issue involves the Automapper and deciding the fastest routes.

(Some background)
I love using the mapper, but the #WALK command normally parses a huge string of commands that creates a bit of screen lag. In order to overcome the lag, I have started scripting aliased "paths" from known points within specific areas to specific destinations. (I use the term "paths" loosely, because I am using an in-game feature for traveling, not the #PATH command.) This approach is much better, eliminating most of the parsing lag. However, I recently ran into a bit of a quandary due to what might be called "multiple access points". (diagram supplied below)

Code:

[A]
           .   .     pA
         .       .
       .           .
     .               .
  [x]                  [1]
     .               .
       .           .
         .       .
           .   .     pC
            [C]

Starting at some variable point [1], there are two points ([A], [C]) to access the area where the destination [x] resides. (In the MUD I play, [A] and [C] are bridges.) If there was a single access point, I would run a #WALK command to that point, followed by an aliased path to the destination. So, in a nutshell, how do I find which point is closer to use #WALK?

Here's my (clumsy) solution:

1. Get the current roomnumber
2. Get distance of path A (currently using %pathfrom, %pathexpand, and %numitems - is there a better way to count exits between two points?)
3. Get distance of path C
4. Compare distances, choose shortest, and #WALK

Anyone want to help me out? Any help would be appreciated. (This isn't ruining my experience, it's just a little coding riddle.)

Thanks in advance.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:51 am   

If you are wanting to compare walk lengths between A1-Z, A2-Z, and so on, all you need to do is use %pathfrom() using the vnums for the A rooms. CMud is already calculating the shortest path between each point, so all that is left is to compare the results.
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:41 pm   

Vance, your method is basically the easiest way to determine whether A or C is closer. I've used a similar method for calculating distances myself. However, that does not tell you how far A or C is from x. If you want to know the total shortest distance, you'd need to deal with that length as well.

What Matt is suggesting is doing a %pathfrom between x and 1, then seeing whether it goes through A or C.

I'm not sure what you mean by "#WALK command normally parses a huge string of commands that creates a bit of screen lag." If you use Safe or Slow walk mode, it shouldn't send all the commands at once.
Jim Vance
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 am   

Thanks for the feedback.

So, how would I use %pathfrom to determine whether the shortest path from [1] to [x] goes through [A] or [C]? That seems like a much better solution to what I am trying to do.

@Rahab: I am using the Fast walk mode, and it does create a bit of lag at first. Then the buffer speeds ahead and I get a bit of "visual whiplash". :)
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:37 pm   

With Fast walk mode, I could see that happening, which is why I suggested Safe or Slow walk. Is there a particular reason you prefer Fast walk mode if it causes this problem?

As for how to do that...hm. I guess I would use %pathexpand(%pathfrom(1,x)) to find the correct path, and %pathexpand(%pathfrom(1,A)) and %pathexpand(1,C)) to find the bridge paths. Then I would compare the first path, element by element, to the second two paths until I could eliminate one of them.

Matt might have another solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: