Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:07 am   

Need help with packages.

I just recently started muddin again after about a 10 year break. I am a former zmud user but have forgotten how to do most everything so I figured I'd give cmud a shot and will be upgrading from the evaluation copy in the next few days. Here is my problem.

I had a mud session open and set up like I wanted in cmud (this session still works fine and all my triggers, aliases, etc. are still there). I opened a new window, connected to a new mud and started getting things set up like i wanted. Last night I decided to make the new mud a separate session so I could open one or the other. All my stuff for the new mud is in it's own package. I can open the package in notepad ++ and can see everything there. When I try to get the new session to use the package however nothing but the window shows up in the package editor. This was happening in the release version so just for the heck of it i installed the beta. Still nothing.

When I started this new session once created, I clicked on the edit session button. I went over to the package files tab and from the browse button selected the package I wanted to use that has the stuff I need in it. I then clicked open and saved my changes. Nothing I seem to do works. The session always opens with nothing listed under the package tab of the package editor. Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info I will be glad to supply it if i can. I just don't want to ramble on if the info is not needed.

Mike

PS. I wish everyone a happy and safe New Year.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:02 am   

The first/main package a session creates is always located in the CMud/Gamename folder. Any additional packages are created in the CMud/Packages folder. Packages in the Packages folder are usually not included in other sessions by default.

How you get your settings across depends on how you want to do it. The easiest and safest way is to export your package to XML, then importing that XML file into your other session's package.
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:18 am   

Yeah, the packages i need are in the packages folder. How would I go about opening them to export? I have them selected for the new session I want to use them in. The tabs are there in the package editor but show nothing. I clicked on export xml (all) option. However there is still nothing showing when I try to import them back in.

I feel so stupid right now. Hope this isn't a glimpse of what the new year will bring.
gamma_ray
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:59 pm   

Why don't you just open the old session, WITH both old packages, and copy everything from the old package into the new main package for your new session using the settings editor? You should be able to use ctrl-shift-click to select everything on the left side of the settings editor, copy it, and then click on the left bar of the settings editor in the new package and paste. You might want to do it in a couple of steps (for example, I would avoid copying the main window, so just select everything under the main window and copy that to the new main wnidow, then copy any other windows and modules), but it should take less than a minute.
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:30 pm   

I wasn't thinking when I did that and just drug the main window and everything with it for the new mud into a new package then saved it. I figured since there were backups, E would be ok either way. I just chalked this one up as a learning experience (kind of since i'm still not 100% sure what I did wrong), and redid the new mud in a new session with a different name so it's all fresh and will save right. I was pretty sure I tried to open the package I put everything into, in the original session it was created in with no luck. I just tried again to be sure and the package still opens with nothing in it. One additional thing I did notice is that once I revert to the backup package (a copy of it rather) and try to open it in any session (new or original), when i close cmud and take a look at the package file in notepad++, all the settings I can see in the original backup are missing from the new package file.

If anyone can help me better understand what exactly I did wrong, that would be cool. Then I can be sure not to do it again. But if not, don't worry about it. I just won't do anything package related with more than one mud running at the same time and that should surely keep me from messing things up.

Thanks for all the help either way.
CMUD 3.34
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: