Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Arde
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:42 pm   

Prompt triggers

I can swear that I've already asked this question, but I can't find that thread. So I'm gonna ask it again, maybe something has changed since that time.

There are 2 places (in the Session Preferences and in the Map Properties) where you can specify your MUD prompt. Should one use them? Or making my own optimized prompt regex trigger which will rise onPrompt event is a better way? Next, if I make my own trigger and, say, specify my prompt pattern in the Settings - will CMUD test them both against MUD text? Should I specify prompt pattern in the Map properties or mapper will catch onPrompt predefined event?

Can this all be optimized somehow? I can't get the logic behind the multiple prompt triggers. Can CMUD has one place for specifying prompt trigger (or trigger ID if it is a hand-made trigger) and can other CMUD modules be tied to that single prompt trigger?
-#SECTION can terminate threads
-Buttons can't start threads
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:04 pm   

I am not positive about the following, but the following is my understanding.

onPrompt is not a predefined event, so the automapper knows nothing about it. It won't recognize an onPrompt event.

The prompt defined in the Preferences window allows you to automatically set variables to values taken from the prompt. As far as I know, that is the only purpose of this prompt definition. The automapper does not know or care about this definition.

I believe the prompt defined in the Mapper window is used to help the automapper identify the end of the room description. As far as I know, that is the only purpose of this prompt definition, and the only other way to identify the prompt to the automapper is with #tag. Depending on your specific mud, you may or may not be able to get along without defining this prompt.
Arde
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:33 pm   

Rahab wrote:
onPrompt is not a predefined event, so the automapper knows nothing about it. It won't recognize an onPrompt event.

You are right. The reason I thought it is an built-in event is that I have that event for a long time now. Anyway, recognizing an OnPrompt event would be good for the Mapper.

Rahab wrote:
The prompt defined in the Preferences window allows you to automatically set variables to values taken from the prompt. As far as I know, that is the only purpose of this prompt definition. The automapper does not know or care about this definition.

I believe the prompt defined in the Mapper window is used to help the automapper identify the end of the room description. As far as I know, that is the only purpose of this prompt definition, and the only other way to identify the prompt to the automapper is with #tag. Depending on your specific mud, you may or may not be able to get along without defining this prompt.

It means that if you have a prompt trigger (in the Package Editor or in the Session Preferences) CMUD checks against each MUD prompt at least twice: once for the Mapper and once for your session trigger. Am I right? Why would not join these triggers into one onPrompt event and set the Mapper to handle it?
-#SECTION can terminate threads
-Buttons can't start threads
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: