Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
TraggikEndings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:40 pm   

Characters

I used to run CMud off my old computer tower, but during a recent move my computer crapped itself. On my computer I had all my characters and passwords saved in CMud and I've managed to recover the entire CMud folder that saved all my character package files. My question is, is there a way to extract my passwords from these files? Or import them into CMud with the autologin feature that has the passwords stored?

Or am I just out of luck and not able to get my old characters and passwords back?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:10 pm   

Open your session Offline and then go into the Preferences and turn off the Autogag Password option. Then type:

#SHOW %pass

on the command line and it should display the password for that session.
TraggikEndings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:26 pm   

Maybe I'm not doing it right but this is what I'm trying:

Under Preferences ---> Scripting ---> Do not display password texts (unchecked)

Then with the session offline typing in #SHOW %pass

After doing this I get a blank line on my screen with the time stamp next to it. I try to select it/copy it but nothing happens. When I try #SHOW %char the correct character name appears. I've tried looking for a specific "Do not gag password" option as in ZMud but cannot find it.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm   

Yeah, it's not working for me on this end, either.

However, if you go into Script Debugger (keep that box unchecked that you unchecked earlier) and type '#PW' on the command line, it'll show you your password.

Charneus
TraggikEndings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:02 pm   

Even under the script debugger I just get blank lines when I type in #PW. Maybe there is a misunderstanding of what I'm trying to do/accomplish.

I lost my old computer, but was able to recover the stored CMud files/packages.
I reformatted and have a clean install of CMud.
I want to use the old files from CMud in this clean install to recover passwords for characters I don't have.

I tried creating a new session and then installing the old package files into the newly created sessions, but that doesn't work. I tried all of the above methods, but again the password and character outputs are blank when I use %pass and blank under #DEB when I use #PW. Any other ideas?
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:13 pm   

Predefined Variables wrote:
%pass the password of the current session. Only works within a script. Returns a blank value if used from the command line.

Try:

Code:
#alias password {#print {your password is: %pass}}
password

From the command line
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:04 pm   

A new session is not going to have your old passwords in, passwords are not stored in the package files.

The two important files that you need to have saved are sessions.db and sessionkeys.db and if you put those back in the right place you will have your sessions with the correct character names and passwords already and waiting for you the next time you load CMUD.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:32 pm   

Wrym is correct with the method for showing the password. I forgot that I increased the security of the %pass function a while ago.

Taz is also correct about the specific files that you need which contain your passwords.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: