Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Eiredrake
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:02 pm   

Data Entry Forms

Looked around in the FAQ and in the forum but I am not seeing this. Is there any way to create a form usable for data entry so as to set several variables all at once?

Thanks

E
Aidan88
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:38 pm   

Could you not simply loop a #PROMPT?
Eiredrake
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:52 pm   

That's what I had in Zmud originally to do this with. Unfortunately Im seting Name, Security Rating, Access Rating, Control Rating, Index Rating, Files Rating and Slave Rating for the host class alone. Not to mention all the vars I want to be able to set for a decker and his deck.

Unfortunately looped props become irritating after the 3rd one especially if the only one you really want to set is the last one in the list and you have to skip the first few.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:52 pm   

Not yet. Previously there was a tutorial system you could use for this but as yet there's no equivalent in CMUD. There're long-term plans to allow very powerful forms and other control over the UI, but we won't be seeing them for a good long while.

So there're a few ways you can do this. #prompt is an option but it's a very inelegant solution in my opinion. One of my plans is to write, at some point, a flexible system using a single oninput trigger to catch all user input to run through a series of questions like:

Do you want auto-healing on?
Do you have a stealth ability?

And so on. For now, a stop-gap measure I'm using is MXP. I call some code like this:

Code:
#mxp "Are you a pumpkin? <send 'response_alias yes'>Yes</send>/<send 'response_alias no'>No</send>"

The response_alias code is aware of the current question and handles each response as you'd expect. For more complex data-entry queries you still have to use #prompt though, but you can have #mxp "How many roads must a man walk down? <send '#prompt whatever whatever;response_alias'>Enter Number</send> or something similar to make it a slightly less obnoxious process.

In fact, my final code will probably use both - MXP for when there's a fixed set of replies, and an oninput trigger for when there's a range of possible answers.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: