Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
symposes
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:20 pm   

Cmud from a thumbdrive?

I remember reading once, that Zugg had intended to create a web based version of cmud, that you could access from anywhere, that also stored settings via a server he was setup for that purpose.

I haven't seen anything about it since, and im not terribly worried, I can imagine a project like that would be very extensive.

ANYWAY, what I would like to know, is there a way to setup the latest version of Cmud, or even Zmud, to work from a usb thumb drive, without it going crazy because there are no registry entries. IE if i can plug in my thumbdrive i can use my copy of z/cmud...

Id also like to avoid using Zmud 3.62... although i know it is an option...

thank you in advance, btw.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:14 pm   

Unfortunately, not really. The Copy Protection in both CMUD and zMUD require Admin privileges on the computer it is running on to install it. Once installed it will run from the thumbdrive, but it needs those registry entries. It was never intended for CMUD/zMUD to work on multiple public computers since someone could just easily upload the contents of the thumbdrive to the Internet and people could just copy it and use CMUD for free. There are possibilities in the future of using secure U3 thumbdrives, but that's mostly the job of the company that writes the copy protection system to support, and in the cases I have seen so far, they require a "phone home" connection to a registration server which is something I got rid of with eLicense and don't want to go back to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: