Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
pelonza
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:49 am   

Screen Layout saving?

I'm not sure if this is a CMUD beta issue, or just an issue in CMUD that i'm doing wrong....

Every time I re-open CMUD I have to reposition my windows how I want them. Even when I have the "auto-save layout" selected.

That is, I have to log in, the drag my main screen out to expand, undock my status window, open the mapper each time I log in.

Is there a simple way to fix this? Is this a bug with the Beta version?
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:02 am   

Try

Layout > save session layout

If you don't get a message saying the layout was saved, close the session hold shift, and re-open, this fixes a corrupted layout file. Then re-layout and layout >save session layout.
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
pelonza
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:03 pm   Nope, still no working

So, I tried this (actually I tried saving it before directly)

It did NOT work. It tells me that the session layout is saved...but the next time I open it my status window is STILL opened as a new tab, and my mapper still doesn't open. Also, in testing this, I've noticed that "close all" from the file menu doesn't actually close everything....(it doesn't close my status window for example, and still maintains the old variables)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:56 pm   

Where did you install your data files when you installed CMUD and what version of Windows are you using? Sounds like you might be using Vista and are having some problems with file permissions that are preventing your layout files from being saved.
pelonza
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:19 am   

Actually I'm using Window's Media Center...which is more a spin-off of XP Pro I think. I'm logged in with admin rights (it's my personal computer at home)...

I'm saving CMUD files in:

C:\program files\CMUD (the default install directory)
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:13 pm   

Hmmmm, in your CMUD\<session_name>\ folder there should be a <session_name>.xly file, this file stores your session layout information. The Date last modified property should give some clue as to if it's actually getting saved.

Additionally you could try appending .old to the file name, and re-saving your layout to see if that fixes your problem, but I doubt that does anything different than holding shift while opening your session.
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:56 pm   

When you install CMUD, place the "Application Files" into your C:\Program Files directory, but when it asks for the location of your Data Files, select the %DOCUMENTS% option to have them places in your "My Documents\My Games\CMUD" directory. I have seen issues with people even using WinXP where it doesn't allow CMUD to create new files in that directory sometimes. Also, splitting your Application files from your Data files will prevent any problems in the future with Vista or Windows 7.

But Wrym is also correct that you should look at the modification date of your *.XLY files to see if they are getting saved or not.
pelonza
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:14 am   

So both what wyrm said, and you said seem to be an issue....when I looked in the folder where CMUD "session options" says the layout is saved...there is _not_ a file. I've never had problems before with saving files into the program-files folder...but that's currently where I set CMUD to do it (actually, in my old ZMUD folder...because I imported old ZMUD settings)....is there a way to CHANGE where it saves it?

Now, I copied the package file to a new folder in my documents....so now I can reference a package there (before it would always reference a layout in the same folder as the package).

With this done, I tried to save my layout. With "auto-save layout" checked, it gave me "saved layout" when i told it to save...but no .xly file was created in the folder.

I turned OFF auto-save....and tried to save the layout. This did not even generate a "saved layout" box. Still no .xly folder created.
pelonza
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:16 am   It works?

I'm not entirely sure what changed/happened....but this time when I reopened CMUD entirely it loaded the way I closed it. I have no idea what actually fixed it, but it works now so....
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:40 pm   

As I said above, the best way to fix this is to reinstall CMUD and select the %DOCUMENTS% option for the Data Files location, and then move all of your session specific files, along with the session.db and sessionkeys.db files from your current Program Files area to the My Documents/My Games/CMUD directory. It's good that it's working now, but if it fails again in the future, that's really the only way to fix it for good.
pelonza
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:19 pm   

Thanks for all the help! I will definitely just reinstall if I have issues with it again....I was in the process of saving all my stuff to import later when it worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: