Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
elektrisk
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:42 pm   

What's the default directory for logs?

I installed zMUD yesterday and have a trigger to start a log when I connect to the mud that I play. The response to "Welcome to the land of Necromium!" (message you get when you log on, which is when the log starts) is:

Code:
#LOG %concat( "Necro_", %time( yyyy-mm-dd), ".txt")

It says that it's logging, so I assume it is.. where would the defualt location of such logs be?

Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:50 pm   

The default location is the zMUD installed directory. Most commonly "C:\Program Files\zMUD" or "C:\zMUD".
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:45 pm   

You can set whatever directory you want, though, by putting the entire path in your #log command, starting with the drive.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
elektrisk
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:25 am   

Found it. Thanks :)
Leitia
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:58 pm   

#log "C:\Program Files\ZMud\MultiLog\"%concat( @MyChar, %time( yyyy_m_d_hnnss).txt)

I found a daily number was harder to grep afterwards and switched to the above. If you use a path you have to create the directory, or the log fails. I can't imagine dumping into the zmud folder. Not that it is sacred, just omg im blind Laughing
Leitia
Adept

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:03 pm   

thought to add, after saying a large file is hard to grep, that really only applies when I was looking for events with scant idea what those looked like, then files by session were much easier. The down side is if I can't remember the time whatever happened I have to open, say, 5 sessions from a weekend and using Windows Explorer to do that is time consuming

So, I thought to share http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm, which program is way more then I need, but I love it. Its free too.

You can open all the sessions from a weekend in a tabbed browser and search all open documents. The results are displayed in a window with the the file heading and the line numbers and just clicking those is a link to the data. The real power is it does some regex. You can remove end-lines too and change ZMud code way beyond Notepad proper.

regex is a bit clever, more then me for sure, but I can find most anything anywhere and change that to suit.

like search and replace the numbered variable names in this list would be impossible without regex I think

@friend1;#
@friend2;#
@friend3;#

search for: @friend(\d+)
replace with: %null(@friend\1)

I know you didn't ask. I just like to post things I think are intresting

actually I would search ;# and replace );# but was thinking irl the line might have a lot of ;#
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: