Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:29 am   

Question/Comment about Sounds in CMUD

In this I am acting as a proxy for someone else who does not have an account here. I don't know enough about sounds in CMUD to know if his suggestion is already something possible in CMUD so I'm bringing it here with the potential and phrasing, from him, as a suggestion, but knowing that you may simply be able to respond with how you can do it already. If that's the case, simply respond to it as you would if you were showing someone how to do it and I'll learn something and also relay your information in your words, to him.

Fellow DSL user wrote:

What will be nice is this.
If you could name play events.
So #Play {MySoundName} {MyNiceSound.mid}

Then.
Being able to #stopsound {MySoundName}, #resumesound {MySoundName}, #pausesound {MySoundName}.

Being able to loop sounds. So you can have a constantly playing background (until you stop it of course). Or maybe have a loop count, so loop X times.

Being able to test the state of a sound event's state. Is it paused, playing, stopped, or non-existant.

Being notified of sound events. Like track has stopped, been pause, been resumes, reached end of stream.

I've not used cmud much, but in zmud #play sound.mid has a delay of about 2 seconds. Does this still exist in Cmud? I assume this is due to the file access. So perhaps another feature would be preloading songs?

Oh and an error message should not pop up when you stop an non-existant sound, or an already stopped song.

I want to write a script to add some music to DSL. Nice music for difference areas, with some areas having some ambient sounds as well. Right now, it is possible to do but will require a lot of hard coding (Need to know how long each track is if you want to repeat a song). Yeah, so I hope that I made sense in this post. See what the other scripters have to say about this. Maybe it is already possible with CMUD!
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:07 pm   

Alot of this can already be done in CMUD. S/He should be looking into #PLAY or possibly #MEDIA. You should also not that CMUD can play MP3 where zMUD couldn't. The Sounds and Externals topic should also provide some additional options.

As for sound events it sounds an awful lot like implementation of MSP. S/He could work with DSL to get this implemented.

In the absolute worst case s/he could emulate this functionality with the current frameworks as they are. As for zMUD vs CMUD sound comparisons look no further than the comparison chart.[/url]
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:04 pm   

The fellow MUD user wanted me to thank you, the link to the MSP stuff seems to be exactly what he was looking for, so thank you for the help you provided. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: