Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:49 am   

trigger 'wizards'

The thread in which a 'pre-customised version of mushclient for Aardwolf mud' was discussed, and where it is obvious some others are attempting to duplicate the mushclient plugin with CMUD, prompted me to post to the mud I play (Aetolia) about something similar for new players there. Having had a positive reaction, I am looking into it deeper.

All the part about creating windows of specific sizes through script is not something I know much about. I've made the attempt in the past and failed. I'm not worried about that though, there are others around Aetolia (some on this very forum) who could do that side of the project. What does concern me a little though, is how keen people seemed to have a basic (and very incomplete) curing system that new players could build on no matter how little they know of scripting. It is something I have thought about in the past, and I even have model for the system itself in semi-construction. CMUD seems built for this sort of project in a way zMud never was (switch, functions and named arguments come to mind immediately, but they are only a fraction of it).

It occurred to me though, that triggers wizards, if they work as I think they do, and (I think they maybe don't exist in CMUD yet?) if they exist, would make this even better for the end user. Imagine if the new player has just fought their first spar with the preinstalled Aetolian curing package. It comes with only a handful of triggers, so they lose the fight and are looking through the log.

In it they find a new affliction. They ask what it is, check the help files for the cure, and look up at the button bar. Right up the top somewhere, they see "add new affliction trigger" so they click on it.

They are prompted for the trigger pattern. They c/p it in and click ok.
They are prompted for the name of the affliction it gives. They type it in exactly as it appears in 'help cures concoctions/reanimation'
They are prompted for any additional afflictions it gives. They click none.
They are told that the affliction has not yet been added to the cure table, and that they need to input the cure. This is done and they click OK.
They are then told that as the affliction is new to the system, they need to add it to the central curing function, and to click here to edit this setting.

(The link closes the wizard, which is now finished, and opens up the PE to edit the main curing function, which is a few #switch commands, well commented with instructions on how to add new afflictions and making it clear that the order of each elseif statement-command determines the cure order.

Is something like this actually possible as is? Would it actually be a trigger wizard, or is that something else? Would it be possible with #prompt or similar?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:53 am   

You can do it with an alias that runs a series of #prompt commands, but it's not an ideal solution. The wizards in zMUD could actually be customised to do whatever you like, so this would be possible with that system, yes. It's one of the things I'd like to see make a comeback in CMUD in the future :)

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:47 am   

It should happen when Zugg gets a chance to integrate the technology from zApp forms into CMUD. It will be awesome.
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:23 pm   

If you are feeling bored you can dig up a trigger wizard I posted to the zMud Beta forum for thoughts and opinions. Basically the aim of it was to guide a user through creating a trigger pattern for any line. They could check the parts that were always the same, check the parts they wanted to capture. What came out was a working pattern.

The wizard system in zMud only allowed functions so the whole thing was massively kludged by me. Anyone that can dig it up is welcome to extract the aliases it used, rewrite the interface, and claim full ownership.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:50 pm   

Send me a link and I may just do that.
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:54 pm   

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15820
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:14 am   

Sorry Vijilante, that goes off into space for me, got another one?
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:36 am   

It's in the zMUD Beta Forum is why you can't see it. I'm not going to post the text here because it's HUGE - I'll PM it to you.

charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:21 pm   

Well, perhaps send it to the Finished Scripts forum? :P I'm sure there are several others who would want to see this script and maybe get some ideas from it. :\ Including myself.

Charneus
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:28 pm   

I've moved it into General Discussion, since I don't think it's actually finished. The above link should still work.

I warn you, before you click, that Zugg comments in that thread: "when I read the post I said "Oh My God!" and a cold shiver went through my spine". Read with caution.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: