Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
al_sparagus

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:33 pm   

Speedwalkign without a movement character?

I am used to using tintin and switched over recetnly to zmud, however one thing I find annoying it having to use a . before speedwalking.

I tried to just leave the movement character as blank and got an error, how do I fix this?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:44 pm   

Well, if your speedwalk character was nothing, then everything you typed on the command line would be a speedwalk, which would be a bit silly. How are you expecting it to work?

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
al_sparagus

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:44 pm   

I just want to be able to type in wwneeu into the command line and have the character speedwalk to the directions. Same as if I typed .wwneeu
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:33 am   

Doing this will either be extremely complex, or extremely error-prone, as I said above. Unless your server is doing it and for some reason zMUD is stopping the commands from being sent to the server's speedwalking system properly, anyway. This is something you might try:

#oninput {^([news]+)$} {#gag;#exec %concat(".",%1)} "" {regex}

Dharkael
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:55 am   

remove the #gag
al_sparagus

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:43 pm   

Honestly it is a deal breaker. I would also like to be able to use numbers in the command line like 5ewseu does the same as .5ewseu

This is a function that most tintin versions has had built in since the early 90s and I am amazed that zmud doesn't have something this simple built in. Guess I will have to go back to using the pueblo client.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:07 pm   

#oninput {^([\dnews]+)$} {#exec %concat(".",%1)} "" {regex}

Alright?

I'm really curious to know how tintin stops false positives, though. That's the reason that zMUD uses the speedwalk character, because it's not that inconvenient to type "." before your paths and then the client can be 100% sure that's what you want. If it's having to guess if something is a path or not, it'll be bound to make a mistake sooner or later.

al_sparagus

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:15 pm   

Fang Xianfu wrote:
#oninput {^([\dnews]+)$} {#exec %concat(".",%1)} "" {regex}

Alright?

I'm really curious to know how tintin stops false positives, though. That's the reason that zMUD uses the speedwalk character, because it's not that inconvenient to type "." before your paths and then the client can be 100% sure that's what you want. If it's having to guess if something is a path or not, it'll be bound to make a mistake sooner or later.

It doesn't stop false positives, that is the job of the user. I have used tintin to mud in 94 and actually have been in situations in which I knew my speedwalk was going to take me somewhere bad, usually a smart user will zap the tintin session, but sometimes you can't catch it.
al_sparagus

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:38 pm   

Thank you very much for the code however it works great and will help me in transitioning over to zmud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: