Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:08 pm   

Lua and CMUD

Does Lua have access to any GUI features through CMUD? I'm still bent on making those notification windows, but Lua doesn't seem to have a GUI library inherent to the language itself.
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:36 pm   

You really don't want to try and create the window GUI from the ground up...that is very complicated, and probably still won't give you the kind of notification window that you want. It won't end up being any different than the current #MESSAGE popup unless you do some really low level Windows API stuff.

I think you need to research the suggestion given before about looking for a COM object that can be called from CMUD to create a notification window. Or else you'll need to write your own COM DLL in C (or Delphi) to do this and then call it from CMUD. I really doubt you'll find anything low-level enough in Lua (or any other scripting language) to do this. It will require something that is compiled against the Windows API.

But my guess is that there is already some sort of shared Windows COM object for doing notifications that can be called. You'll just need to research it a bit more with Google. Just be aware that it's not likely to be trivial.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:47 pm   

I'm not really sure what to look for when I'm searching, any help in that would definitely be appreciated. And this is something I'll definitely put up if I can get it to work out, so others can use it.
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:15 pm   

Lua doesn't include that sort of library by default because that defies the point of being small - but there're thousands of libraries for it online, which you can require() once you've put them where CMUD will find them (probably the data directory). You just need to find a library that does what you're after.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:32 pm   Re: Lua and CMUD

chamenas wrote:
Does Lua have access to any GUI features through CMUD? I'm still bent on making those notification windows, but Lua doesn't seem to have a GUI library inherent to the language itself.

What kind of notifications do you need?

Is it something that can be easily handled using the existing functionality of CMUD?

Options include:
directly execituting MXP commands via COM
using substitutions to add input that CMUD regognizes via triggers
using COM to run VBA or something similar

-Tarn
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:31 pm   Re: Lua and CMUD

Tarn wrote:
chamenas wrote:

What kind of notifications do you need?

Is it something that can be easily handled using the existing functionality of CMUD?

Options include:
directly execituting MXP commands via COM
using substitutions to add input that CMUD regognizes via triggers
using COM to run VBA or something similar

-Tarn

Well it's difficult when I don't know anything about those. I'm speaking of Notification windows like the kind MSN uses, where I can put in the message and define certain features. Sort of an advanced version of "#message"

The problems with #message (for me) are:
- It notifies even when CMUD is my focus window. I only need the notifications when I am focusing on other windows and cannot see what is going on in the MUD. Notification windows are more informative and less obnoxious than sounds.
- It needs to stay on top, because if I'm actively doing things I may bring other stuff into focus and miss the notification window entirely.
- I'd like to be able to control height and width, or at least have a more "MSN"-like height and width which is more suitable to a notification window
- Would like to choose the colors since red background is awfully ugly Razz
- Would like to better control placement and how it stacks. Trying to drag it around before it disappears, and only being able to adjust windows when they're visible is a real problem.
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:39 pm   

So, yeah. Not knowing anything on how to find or use those DLLs, am I sort of Out of Luck? I searched for some under "notification window DLL" and similar terms. I found a couple, none that I could actually find the download for though. Nor would I know how to use the DLL when I found it...
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:01 pm   

See if there's some kind of API you can use to get access to the windows balloon tips, because they're probably your best bet. Also, try looking on sites like luaforge and seeing if they have anything you can adapt.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: