Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:53 pm   

Off Topic - Hey Zugg Remember This?

The other day I was looking around and discovered this article...

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/january01/muds1/index10.shtm

Anyone remember this? I'd like to hear the opinions on this from today's perspective, since that was six years ago and here he is designing an even newer client! They still seem to be going strong.

By the way Zugg, that is exactly what happened to me too and why I started playing.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post something like this but I am curious and didn't know where else to post it. Figure it would be something different than reading all the problems.

Coincidentally, I also read that Gary Gygax just died two days ago too.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:27 am   

Interesting read... like a walk down memory lane.

One comment did stick with me, with a great client it's easier to build a strong MUD fan base. I know that for many years, and to a lesser degree even now, my interest in MUDs was driven by interest in zMUD/CMUD and not in the MUD themselves. Then again I tend to lose interest whenever I hit a grind wall in a MUD and real life always demands more time.
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:53 pm   

Heh, that was a blast from the past Very Happy

I think the article is still pretty relevant. In fact, it's kind of interesting to see that things haven't actually changed much in 8 years. The graphical MMOs have gone from Everquest to World of Warcraft, but the basic game is still the same.

Soon after that article came out, I *did* write the zMapper addon. That ended up being a lot more work that I expected (as usual) and took me away from the code zMUD work. I wish I had paid more attention to my own quote from that article (the same one Tech mentioned):
Quote:
Without a quality MUD client, I don't think MUDs would be nearly so popular.

The MUD market started declining when I stopped updating zMUD regularly. It's coming back now thanks to CMUD, but it will take a while to get the market back to where it was back then. Coincidentally, the year 2000 was our peak sales year.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:51 am   

Doh! That was seven years ago that article came out. I keep forgetting we are in 2008 now! Sigh...where the hell did time go.

I think you are right too. Without the clients like zMUD and now CMUD, hardly anyone would be playing muds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: