Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kyros
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:24 am   

Map exporting.

I want to export a zone from a map database. How is this possible? I have zmud AND zmapper. But I want to allow an import into the zmud mapper. How can I do this?
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:35 pm   

Get Charbal's ZoneCopy Utility from the download pages. It is a 3rd party plugin, and making backups of your map files is suggested before using it.
kyros
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:01 pm   

This doesn't solve my problem. I want to export them into .map extensions. I can import them all day, but I can't export them.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:33 pm   

Quote:
I want to export them into .map extensions.
What format are you talking about here? I believe some very old version of zMud used that extension, but such versions are no longer supported.

Quote:
But I want to allow an import into the zmud mapper. How can I do this?
I can import them all day, but I can't export them.
Ok, now you have completely confused me. I must be a bit slow, but you seemed to be be having a problem exporting a zone into a format that could be imported in your first question. Now you say import is not an issue!?

That only leaves you asking how to export a zone from a map database, which you have qualified as export into an unknown format. If I am guessing all of this right then you have zMud v5.xx and zMapper v1.xx and you want to be able to edit your map in zMapper and then use the editted version in the older zMud. All I can say is that it will never work, the older format did not contain all the data in the new format; if you make a single change in zMapper then you are stuck with the new format. Upgrade zMud to the current version or upgrade to CMud. Of course that is all just a guess.
kyros
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:29 am   

no, I want to export specific zones so other people can import into their own map database. I have the most current zmud AND cmud.
kyros
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:18 am   

anyone?
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:09 am   

Ok, I understand now. WOW I didn't even know such a feature once existed. Follow these steps to see what kyros is talking about.

In Zmud Open the mapper window. Click Zone in the menu bar. Then click Import Zone. It is looking for a file with a .map extension.

I went ahead and tried to import a .mdb file by selecting all files and it did add a zone but the zone was blank and the map was set to the maximum level.

So now the question becomes did this EVER work and if so where is the documentation for it?

I don't have more time to look at this tonight but perhaps Vijilante will remember something now. That or maybe he can see in the Zmud Beta forum some posts I don't have access to...
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:46 am   

The .map format was the old format. There is an import and a conversion utility as part of the zMud to support bringing users from the old version to the new. As I said to export use Charbal's Zone Copy, making a single zone into its own database. Then to import you again use Zone Copy bringing the single zone into the other database. I am pretty sure it works since that is what he made it for.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:32 pm   

Yes and interestingly the import zone function works fine on my .map files in zMUD 7.21 but doesn't work in CMUD, very odd considering no code has changed in the mapper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: