Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Bluebear
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:12 pm   

Help with #Find please

Hi,

So I have a good map.

When I use #Find from the command line, 'look' is sent to the MUD as it should be. Nothing happens after that.

A friend that uses the same MUD sent me his .mdb and .zfg files, I loaded both and still #Find does nothing past sending 'look' to the MUD. It works on his machine though.

Can anyone tell me where I might start debugging this? When I echo triggers, I can see that none are firing on the room description from the MUD, but because these recognition triggers are internal (I assume), I'm not even sure if they would be there.

Any suggestions where I might start would be appreciated.

Thanks
MrCheviot
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:01 pm   

In my experience, #FIND needs both the room and description to match up (not sure about exits). You may need to setup a #TAG trigger to get it to work right.

Here's a test.. goto a room on the map that you're trying to locate yourself in. Go into create mode, make a new room on it's own, set your current position there, and then look (reload room info). Compare the room you've created to the one that's in the map database - if they're not the same, you've found the problem.

Also, after creating that new room, set current position elsewhere and try #FIND. If it doesn't work, you've discovered why I personally don't rely on it - requires too much of the information to be the same, so if you change your zfg or #TAG's slightly, you've introduced inconsistencies to how the rooms are created and stored.

-MrC
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:02 pm   

My problem was that it was useless for multiple rooms with the same names, but with different exits. So I ended up having to write my own find that utilized exit information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: