Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
gscotty2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:29 am   

Automapper frustration

Okay, I have NOOO IDEA what I am doing. A complete NOOB, when it comes to any complex trigger or anything. I desperately would love to map out the MUD I play but I cannot do this for the reason of me being retarded.

First of this #tag....means absolutely nothing to me, I have looked over other posts and all the variables just confuse me even more. The MUD I play you can go in every direction, and it calls for special directions sometimes such as, squeeze crack, crawl, enter, city, town, step on peel, wagon1 through wagon9, I mean the list could go on and on.

So trying to bypass this #tag stuff when I go to new configure, or reconfigure I just don't have any of the 3 boxes checked for the automapper to recognize. Though when I do have it on, sometimes it doesn't recognize anything or it will recognize the 4th or 5th word in the description as exits. Now I just noticed whenever I have brief mode on is the only time there is a Room name. I thought maybe brief mode being on made things funky so I turned it off and noticed the exits are different when brief mode is on. Well anyway I can get it to create rooms by me walking around(sometimes). Sometimes the room doesn't show up eventhough its in queue and sometimes when that doesn't happen and I'm the room over if I type l or look, it will pop up with another room. Or sometimes if I just go on about my business, it skips that room completely and adds the next room over. So what I do is just go about my way and make the string of rooms, but then I turn it off and try and click on the rooms to go there, well it doesn't go to where I clicked, its a room off or two or three or so and so.

What AM I doing wrong? Please help, I know I am retarded so don't hate me. Thanks in advance for any and ALL help.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:26 am   

I'm much more likely to hate you for calling yourself retarded than I am for your actually BEING retarded ;)

Your MUD sounds like an utter arse for automapping. You say that sometimes the rooms have names and sometimes they don't, and that the display of exits is different too. The mapper won't automatically detect non-cardinal directions, either.

The #tag command is used inside a trigger in much the same way any other command is. The #sub command means "replace the matched text with", the #tag command means "tell the mapper that the matched text is x part of a room description). If you gave us some room descriptions and prompts, we can hopefully help you come up with a solution. But there's a limited amount that the automapper can do on its own, especially when the MUD is making life difficult.

Furthermore, the #tag command ALWAYS tells the mapper that whatever text was matched is part of a room description, even if you've configured the mapper not to try to detect anything itself. All that does is turn off the mapper's automatic detection, not any detection you've created using #tag.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
gscotty2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:39 pm   

The Players' lounge:
This is the lounge. Players can come here to catch up on the latest gossip,
arguments, and such. There are windows on each side of the room. A shimmering
blue portal leads up.
You notice that a large map has been nailed to the south wall.

The commands which have been implemented here:
<describe>
<hmessage 'new hunt message'>
<title 'new title'>
<size>
<fixtitle>
<apply> (gives you a wiz application)
Obvious exits are: north, south, east, west, northeast, northwest,
southeast, southwest, up, down, door
Newbie Donation Bin
Player's Lounge Board: 39 notes (Last updated: Nov 27)
Newbie Plaque

To the south, a large entrance has been carved into an equally large stone
wall. It is the grand City of Indel, hiding treasures and the unknown. A
stone path leads toward what appears to be an old, yet strong hall built just
outside the city.
Obvious exits: city, path, all directions

Gypsy Encampment:
Within this small clearing beneath the stone curtain wall to the north a band
of gypsies has arranged a colorful collection of wagons and tents to form a
a rough circle within which lie several firepits and benches.
Obvious exits are: wagon1, wagon2, wagon3, wagon4, tent1, tent2, forest
Gypsy boy
Gypsy woman
Gypsy man

There are a few examples of the MUD rooms with brief off.

Gypsy Encampment
(Exits: wagon1 wagon2 wagon3 wagon4 tent1 tent2 forest)
Gypsy boy
Gypsy woman
Gypsy man

Near Indel
(Exits: city, path, all directions)

The Players' lounge
(Exits: n s e w ne nw se sw u down door)
Newbie Donation Bin
Player's Lounge Board: 39 notes (Last updated: Nov 27)
Newbie Plaque

There is the same rooms with brief on. Hope that helps a little bit. Thanks for your time too, appreciate it very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: