Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
austin
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:34 pm   

help with packages/modules/windows/classes

I've messed around with this and can't figure out how to accomplish what I want. Basically, with my previous mud client all the settings for a "session" were stored in a single text file. It was a simple matter to make a copy of this text file, and edit a few settings that applied to a separate character.

My question is how I can do this with CMUD. My basic goal is to create one base profile with a main window, a comms window, particular fonts, and triggers. Then I want to be able to essentially "clone" or copy this base profile and customize it with a few character-specific aliases. With CMUD's complicated system of packages, modules, windows, and classes I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:41 pm   

If all the subwindows and triggers are mirror-images of each other, you can easily do all the "side settings" in packages... and simply load the packages into your new sessions. This may or may not be easier when 2.x comes out and %window returns the source window of a trigger execution.

Alternatively, you could probably create your first session, export it to XML, open that in a text editor, change a few names, and have the same effect... but of that I'm not so certain... I haven't played in the XML too much so far.
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:48 pm   

In typical fashion, there's more than one way to do this. The way to do what you describe exactly as you describe it is to go to My Documents\My Games\CMUD\MyMudName\ - copy MyMudName.pkg that should be in there, and perhaps MyMudName.xly (the layout of your windows) and .tbz (button toolbar info) if you've used those too. Then just paste them into some new folders and point the new sessions you've created to the files by right-clicking on them in the session select dialog that pops up when CMUD opens. Select Edit Session, and on the Package Files tab change the top box, Filename, to point to the new files you created.

The slightly more complex way, but which is more in keeping with CMUD's style, is to move all aliases that you want to share with your other characters and put the ones you do want to share into a shared package. You might want to back up your settings first (see above). All you need to do is, in the package editor, select New Package on the File menu. Give it a name and this package will appear in My Documents\My Games\CMUD\packages\. Once you've done that, a new tab with that name will appear in the Package Editor with the name of the package, containing a new global module with the same name. Copy and paste (don't drag) everything you want to share into the new global module. Now, on the Package Files tab of the other sessions, instead of changing the main filename, you press the add button to add a file - the one you just created, containing the shared aliases. This lets you only make changes once to aliases and stuff you want to share, as well as only loading the shared items once into memory.

In addition, if you need the name of the character that each session is logged into for your scripts, put that name into the Name box on the Character tab of the Edit Sessions dialog. You can then use the %char variable in your scripts anywhere you want your character's name:

#alias cc {cast cure %char}

PS. If any of the complex method went over your head, I wouldn't advise using it just yet - ask for some more clarification :)

PPS. Argh, beaten to a pulp by Thinjon :(

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:53 pm   

It's ok, Fang... yours was by far more helpful... mine just gave the basics.

I would still, honestly, recommend waiting for 2.x before setting to the task of creating package-based settings for your characters... a lot of the fixes Zugg has made for the next version, as well as a lot of the features, will help IMMENSELY in multi-session environments.

Hopefully we'll see 2.x soon :)
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:50 am   

ok, thanks for the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: