Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zwartje
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:28 am   

odd alias behaviour

This is a strange one. I cannot really point why or how, but this is what happens.
I have been coding lots and lots of aliases without a problem since release v1.24.

But now some of my aliases just dont want to be executable from the command line.
At first it started with a script I pasted into the command line, which created a class, some aliases inside, another class inside, some aliases and triggers in that class. It all looked fine, classes were enabled, but none of the aliases were executable from the command line, and none of the triggers were firing. I fiddled around with these settings a bit, moving, copy paste, deleting, recreating... nothing helped. In the end I deleted the whole thing.

Now I am trying to build the functionality of the non-working script from scratch, meaning that i use the settings editor to create a class, create aliases inside, create another class in there - but I still cannot get the aliases to work.

As example:
#CLASS {EnlistingNew}
#ALIAS elon {#T+ Enlistfolder;#SAY enlisting on} "EnlistingNew"
#ALIAS eloff {#T- Enlistfolder;#SAY enlisting off} "EnlistingNew"
#CLASS 0
#CLASS {EnlistingNew|Enlistfolder}
#ALIAS test {#say test} "EnlistingNew|Enlistfolder"
#CLASS 0

This gives something like:
- EnlistingNew
| - Enlistfolder
| | - test
| - eloff
| - elon

Simple enough you'd say, just aliases to switch on and off a class.

Now, executing eloff/elon from the command line gives:
Quote:
1020h, 955m cei- eloff

I do not really see what you are getting at.
1020h, 955m cei- elon

I do not follow your meaning.

Any ideas what this could be? right now I seem unable to make any more aliases. This started on v1.26 - I have now downloaded v1.27 and it is still not working.

CMUD seems to be a really nice product, I do get frustrated by these kind of things...
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:56 am   Re: odd alias behaviour

Zwartje wrote:
This is a strange one. I cannot really point why or how, but this is what happens.
I have been coding lots and lots of aliases without a problem since release v1.24.

But now some of my aliases just dont want to be executable from the command line.
At first it started with a script I pasted into the command line, which created a class, some aliases inside, another class inside, some aliases and triggers in that class. It all looked fine, classes were enabled, but none of the aliases were executable from the command line, and none of the triggers were firing. I fiddled around with these settings a bit, moving, copy paste, deleting, recreating... nothing helped. In the end I deleted the whole thing.

Now I am trying to build the functionality of the non-working script from scratch, meaning that i use the settings editor to create a class, create aliases inside, create another class in there - but I still cannot get the aliases to work.

As example:
#CLASS {EnlistingNew}
#ALIAS elon {#T+ Enlistfolder;#SAY enlisting on} "EnlistingNew"
#ALIAS eloff {#T- Enlistfolder;#SAY enlisting off} "EnlistingNew"
#CLASS 0
#CLASS {EnlistingNew|Enlistfolder}
#ALIAS test {#say test} "EnlistingNew|Enlistfolder"
#CLASS 0

This gives something like:
- EnlistingNew
| - Enlistfolder
| | - test
| - eloff
| - elon

Simple enough you'd say, just aliases to switch on and off a class.

Now, executing eloff/elon from the command line gives:
Quote:
1020h, 955m cei- eloff

I do not really see what you are getting at.
1020h, 955m cei- elon

I do not follow your meaning.

Any ideas what this could be? right now I seem unable to make any more aliases. This started on v1.26 - I have now downloaded v1.27 and it is still not working.

CMUD seems to be a really nice product, I do get frustrated by these kind of things...

You need to use / instead of | such as "EnlistingNew/Enlistfolder" and #T+ EnlistingNew/Enlistfolder

Also you only need one alias to turn it off and on.

Just do something like:

#alias elist {#switch (%1 == "on") {#T+ EnlistingNew/Enlistfolder;#say Enlisting ON} (%1 == "off") {#T- EnlistingNew/Enlistfolder;#say Enlisting OFF}}

Then all you have to do is type elist on or elist off in the command line.
Zwartje
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:53 am   

Ok, thanks, I will correct the | with / and try again.

But, thing remains: loading the above with the class commands containing "|" did create all the settings as if nothing is wrong - maybe this should give an error while pasting it into the command line?
Also, using this seems to have corrupted more than is visual in the script editor - At some point I deleted all the classes and settings that were created via the command line and then made new classes (other names even) using the scripteditor and it didnt work either - I am not sure what actions caused it, i've done a lot of copy/past and dragging of settings in the tree view.

And yes, I know i could use 1 alias to do both, I have other settings that work like that, but in this case it would mean more to type when using the alias - however this is besides the point.
Zwartje
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:52 am   

this is not solved :(

Yesterday I replaced all the | by / in the original upload of the script, and the settings worked fine. I've been updating the script all night, all was good. Then I closed off CMUD, as a happy bunny.

However, this morning, opened my session again and again none of the aliases or settings in the Enlistfolder and Enlistingnew are executable from he command line.

Making an alias under the main window, outside the enlist classes which calls an alias inside enlistfolder:
#alias outtest {test}
outtest works from the commandline and test is executed

Dragging the 'outtest' alias inside the Enlistfolder - it works from commandline and test is executed

This is driving me crazy...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:47 pm   

I'd say that it might be time for a fresh reinstall. I just tested this on v1.28 and couldn't reproduce any problems:

1) Ran CMUD, clicked New Session, entered TestAlias for the title, then clicked Offline
2) Pasted your original script into the command line
3) Typed "eloff" on the command line. It says "enlisting off".
4) Typed "elon" on the command line. It says "enlisting on".
5) Closed CMUD and restarted it. Selected the TestAlias session and clicked Offline
3) Typed "eloff" and "elon" again and both worked again just fine.

Try this test on your system. If it works in a new test session like this, then something is wrong with the other session that you are using. It might be corrupted from a previous version. You can always email me the *.PKG that isn't working and I can check to see what is corrupted in it.
Zwartje
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:32 pm   

I followed Zugg's suggested steps in a new session - all worked fine, also after several restarts of the application.

Hence the issue must be in my package - I will send it to you shortly, Zugg.

Yesterday I could only create new working settings by loading them via the command line.
When creating or modifying one using the settings editor, they were not executable from the command line.

Saving, restarting sessions, same behaviour - BUT this morning the settings created last night that worked, stopped working too.

GROWL

Guess i will dig out one of my saved packages from before I had these problems - hopefully I'll have a working package again then.
Zwartje
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:26 pm   

I have sent the package in question to support: RE: odd alias behaviour {20879}
Zwartje
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:26 pm   

Well, I am really getting fed up with this.

In 1.28 i couldnt make any settings using the settings editor (save button wouldnt work at all) - only way to make something new was using command line (#alias and so on) - old settings worked fine.
This was after I went back to a copy of my package from before I had the problem as described above.

I now installed 1.29 - hoping that it would improve things.
Now I can make new settings using the settings editor, they work fine, but all my old aliases/triggers/variables/whatever stopped working.

Should I go back to 1.26?

Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: