Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Ron Marks
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:16 am   

Module working with wrong character

On occasion I may have 2 or 3 characters loaded and offline at the same time. These characters being of different types can end up having aliases that are different that do the same thing. Basically because each character has different bags, and clothing.

The problem is that if there is a more than one same name in different modules with different rules then the active character may use the wrong one if a different one was loaded earlier. I am not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but once a character and it's associated modules are loaded and offline then an active character that doesn't have the module linked to it will still be able to use it since the enabled flag is on for all modules.
Ron Marks
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:20 pm   

This was in vers 1.26 and also confirmed in 1.27. My previous note is confusing. An example is I may have an alias that gets a needle from a pouch and then holds the needle. This same alias could also be in a differnet module but it will get the needle from a pin cushion. Each alias is customized to the character since I don't want to remember where these items are stored. Now if character 1 and 2 are loaded and off-line, while character 3 is loaded and active; character 3 could use the alias from character 1 or 2's module and not find the needle. This is even worse if it is a combat alias.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:30 pm   

You have to explain this problem more. How are your sessions organized?

Which packages are associated with each session? Is there a package that contains common scripts that all characters use?

Are you checking the window for each character to make sure the Window for each character does not have that module enabled?

With out more description, we can give you much help.
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:20 am   

As an example I have two characters that have aliases that are unique to the character plus a module that has guild and similar character related aliases. So my thief character has an icon and that package is linked to the generic thief module. The thief module has thief type of aliases plus equipment related aliases that work with the type of charater it is ( like the needle example above). My priest characters are setup the same way.

When I look at the package editor tabs I see one thief character is on-line and one priest character is off line. I will see tabs for the two character modules/packages (not sure what is correct terminology) plus the generic thief module and the generic preist module. All enabled flags are the same as they are set when the character is run by itself. Under session properties I have the applicable generic module listed. So in the case of the case of the thief under the session properties package files tab the generic thief module is listed, but not the priest generic module.

When I am playing and using an alias that has the same name in both generic packages ( with different instructions), the on-line character does not follow the session package setup info but will use in some cases the aliases listed in the other generic module ...I believe because the package editor shows them all active even though not listed in the session properties package files.

I hope that is clearer :)
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:10 pm   

So you have two aliases with the same name but different scripts loaded for two characters, and CMUD isn't running the right script for each character. Sounds like a bug to me.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Ron Marks
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:11 pm   

Very succinct. Thankyou Fang :)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:16 am   

Click on the Window object in the Package Editor for each of your session windows (the thief and the priest). Look at the list of enabled modules for each window and make sure only the correct modules are enabled. For example, your Thief window should only have the generic thief module enabled, along with any other global modules that you want. The Priest window should only have the generic priest module enabled.

CMUD is always going to look for an alias within the current window first, but if it doesn't find it (or if it's disabled), then it starts looking in all of the modules that are enabled for the window (as shown in that enabled modules list).
Ron Marks
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:54 pm   

Thanks Zugg I will give that a try.

Does this mean that I will have to turn on modules when I put the the other character(s) on-line or does the editor remember each one that has been turned on or off? If it doesn't remember the associated modules then it will be a chore to keep going into the package editor and turning on and off the modules as needed :( I am sure I am not the only person that could be logged in to more than one mud at the same time, or on the rare occasion when a mud allows you to multiplay more than one character at a time.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:59 am   

On the off chance that it doesn't remember the enabled modules, report it as a bug.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: