Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Rivalyn
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:37 pm   

Services required for CMUD in Vista

I was attempting to stream line my Vista business system and ended up running several tweakers in order to facilitate faster load times and free up ram. After doing so, I'm no longer able to connect to any MUD's on CMUD. I assume because of the timing it's related to the changes I made, so what services and such MUST be running in order for CMUD to connect. When I attempt to connect to a mud/port it simply times out. I can connect through the java based website, but not through telnet or CMUD.

It could be that they simply blocked the port out of nowhere, but that'd be incredible timing.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:40 am   

I actually don't know, so maybe one of the other Vista users will be able to help. CMUD doesn't use any specific service that I can think of. It should just be using the normal WinSock library for networking connections. This isn't a service as far as I know.

You might want to read the thread over in the zMUD forum about connection problems in Vista. Vista made some changes in how the TCP/IP protocol was implemented and there is a command you can run from a command prompt to change this to a more compatible setting. Seems to only be a proble with certain MUD servers, and I've seen it affect some web sites within both IE and Firefox as well, so it's not just restricted to MUD client but seems to be a more general problem with the Vista TCP/IP stack and some servers.

It might also be some setting in your firewall or network security software that is blocking the telnet protocol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: