Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Caithris Marsaynn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:49 pm   

CMud making me WINE

Although many people on my MUD are running back to the safety of their old copies of ZMud, I have really enjoyed CMud and plan to stick with it. What I haven't enjoyed, however, is having to boot into Windows in order to use it. Yeah, I think it's neat that these fancy new Intel iMacs can use Windows, but I'm pretty addicted to my MUD, and I miss my OS X. Plus, Windows just doesn't behave like I would want it to all the time.

Looking at the other Windows-under-Macintosh solutions, I see Parallels Desktop/VMWare, but they don't really run 3D stuff, so that would be shelling out $90 to play a MUD and use Expose at the same time. Not really a wise investment. However, I'm intrigued by the WINE/Crossover side of things.

Problem is that I read all these nice posts where lovely people are having great luck running both C and ZMUD under WINE, but I have had no such experience. I'm running CMud under the latest trial of Crossover on a "winxp bottle" and having it try to initialize followed by an extended period of "converting character databases," then disappearing. No quitting, no crashing, just tries to convert character databases for a long time then buggers off.

Halp?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:22 am   

Try deleting your CHARDB.MDB. MUDCHAR.DAT, or CHARDB.DB files and let CMUD make the files from scratch. If it tries to convert the old character database, then it requires loading the Microsoft MDAC/ADO libraries, which are notoriously a problem in emulators. If you just let CMUD create a new character database from scratch, then it should just use the SQLite.DLL database file that comes with CMUD, which should be a lot more compatible.

In general, it's always better to try a fresh installation of CMUD to an empty directory rather than trying to upgrade existing files.

The MDAC/ADO issues will also make the mapper a problem, so you'll have to wait till the mapper gets rewritten to use SQLite instead of MDAC/ADO late this year.
Caithris Marsaynn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:24 pm   

I'm not finding anything on spotlight for any of those files, so I'm assuming they're contained within the "bottle" itself, which I have tried deleting and re-making several times. Essentially, every go at it has been a fresh install, as best I can understand. I did notice that Crossover had stuck a "My Games" folder under Documents in my Home section, but deleting that didn't do any good either.

Now, instead of "converting character databases," I'm only getting "initializing..."
An X window pops up in a strange location (halfway off screen in the bottom left) for a moment, then the process stops, just like before. No crash/quit/error - just stops.

Thanks for your reply.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:32 pm   

Further than I get using Cedega on Ubuntu 6.10, mine doesn't even seem to try and load. Then again, I don't know a thing about Linux so could be simple ways around it that I've not tried.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:39 pm   

The CHARDB.MDB. MUDCHAR.DAT, or CHARDB.DB are zMUD files, and I would not expect to be contained in the "bottle".
Caithris Marsaynn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:06 am   

Your post came off as a bit ambiguous to me, Seb. Do you mean to say that you expect those files to be present on my computer, just not in the "bottle" Crossover is using? Or do you rather mean to suggest that the files Zugg named are used by ZMud but not CMud and therefore should not be on my system at all?
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:51 pm   

They are used by both zMUD and CMUD, but they are supposed to be on your computer and not just in your "bottle". If it's not the MyGames folder created when you installed, then try looking in the CMUD install directory for them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:51 pm   

Well, gents, I still haven't gotten it working. Could anyone suggest a guide to getting CMud to work via Crossover?
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:40 am   

Quote:
I read all these nice posts where lovely people are having great luck running both C and ZMUD under WINE
Could anyone suggest a guide to getting CMud to work via Crossover?

I don't think there is a guide as I've not heard of anyone getting CMUD working in Linux yet. A lot of people have asked, and a lot of people have zMUD working in Linux, but I've not heard of any reports of success for CMUD.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:05 pm   

Keep in mind that CMUD and zMUD are very different programs. zMUD was written for older versions of Windows, and might be easier to get working in an emulator. CMUD requires Windows XP or later, so it might be harder to run in an emulator. In particular, CMUD requires the Windows XP theming system, as well as DirectSound and DirectShow from DirectX 9 (for sound support). I know CMUD works fine in VMware, so it's going to be a matter of getting a better emulator I think.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:42 am   

WINE stands for WINE Is Not an Emulator. I think it's technically an abstraction layer. Wink
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:25 pm   

Tech wrote:
They are used by both zMUD and CMUD, but they are supposed to be on your computer and not just in your "bottle". If it's not the MyGames folder created when you installed, then try looking in the CMUD install directory for them.

There are not CMUD files: they are zMUD files that CMUD may try and import (convert) when CMUD runs for the first time (if it can find them). That is why Zugg suggested deleting them: if they are not there than CMUD will not try and convert them. Converting the MDB files requires MDAC/ADO.

Any clearer, Caithris Marsaynn?
Caithris Marsaynn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:45 pm   

I suppose so, though I'm confused as to why they would be there, as I'd only installed Crossover that day and ZMud had never been installed at all.
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:49 pm   

Probably left from Zugg copying some of the old stuff that he saw no reason to alter right away into CMud.
As CMud knows how to read them on a windows machine in this instance I would have done the same before I made the internal switch to SQLite.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:23 pm   

Caithris Marsaynn, I thought you said you couldn't find them?! If you never installed zMUD, then that is why you couldn't find them: they aren't there! Exclamation
Caithris Marsaynn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:56 am   

None of this had anything to do with ZMud. It was CMud 1.26 I was trying to get to work. At any rate, it didn't, unless anyone has new ideas. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: