Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kjaerhus
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:03 pm   

Blocking without use of #WAIT command

What is the best way to pause your script, wait for some amount of time and then continue the script?

I use it all the time but is still using #wait. It gives me some trouble however so I would like to do this without using this command.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:31 pm   

The #alarm command is the preferred method. It's a lot more versatile and has a lot more options (including time-of-day-based matching) than #wait. For simple aliases you'll want something like this:

#alias commands {something;#alarm +5 {something else};#alarm +10 {something else else}}

or this

#alias commands {something;#alarm +5 {something else;#alarm +5 something else else}}}

depending on which one you find easier to read.

Alarms are actually triggers, but they match a time instead of a pattern. So the #alarm syntax works exactly the same as the #trigger syntax in that you can give them an id, specify a class for them to be created in, and so on. Alarms with ids can be controlled with #t+ and #t- (just like normal triggers) and with the #suspend command and the %alarm function too. There's definitely a bug with one of these methods (I believe #suspend) where the alarm keeps counting down while it's off, going into negative numbers and never actually executing its command.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
kjaerhus
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:41 pm   

I tried this and it seemed to work fine until CMUD suddenly went berserk and I had to shut it down. When I started it up again there was about 6000 unfired alarms which I then deleted. Any ideas why?

Code looks like this:

#WHILE (@awaitingFeedback == true) {
#ALARM {+0.50} {}
}

There is a trigger that sets the variable or I can set it to false manually by pressing a button.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:06 pm   

Yes, that's because, like I said, the #alarm command creates a trigger that matches a set time, it doesn't delay commands after it. That's one situation in which you have to use #wait to have it work that way. One possible solution would be to use something like this:

#alias start {#t+ WhileAlarm}

#alarm "WhileAlarm" 0.501 {#if (!@awaitingFeedback) {continue;#t- WhileAlarm}}

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: