Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Arkonis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:44 pm   

Idea for new feature: configurable compass

I play a MUD called Cardea. There is a client designed for it called Cerberus. Cerberus is no where near as powerful as CMUD, and I absolutely love what I've been able to do with CMUD so far. Cerberus has one very interesting feature that I have not seen come standard in any other MUD client, it's compass. I have yet to attempt to script a compass for CMUD, but then that got me thinking... why not include a dockable compass as a main feature of the client? The client already seems to be able to detect which part of a string of location information is directions automatically. Why not have a dockable compass that is configurable via a quick little wizard, much like the automapper? I much prefer using compasses personally, it's nice to be able to see which directions you can go at a quick glance. It is much harder to navigate by text only and mapping can be quite tedious in some MUDS. Making the compass clickable to allow for walking simply by clicking on directional arrows would be a nice touch as well.

Once again, absolutely amazing job on CMUD, it is incredible. I very much look forward to seeing what it shapes up to in the future.

Cheers,
Ryan
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:18 pm   

There are several compass type classes in the 'zMUD Finished Scripts' board, its just a matter of adjusting the triggers to match how exits are displayed on your MUD.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:20 pm   ...

Yes, but how well do these work in CMUD? I've heard that the scripting between zMUD and cMUD is quite different.

Edit: Oh, and just to add; I thought I would mention this while CMUD is still in active development. It would be a nice feature to see incorporated in to the client itself and would be a major selling factor. Having to muck around with scripts to get a compass display is a bit of a pain. It would also look a lot better and be more versatile if it were designed as an actual dock.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:45 pm   

The scripts will most likely work. While there are some difference between zMUD and CMUD scripting I would not describe it as "quite different". There is new functionality in CMUD, stricter enforcement of scripting syntax and a few modifications to allow the language to be more intuitive and more in line with other programming languages.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in the compass but it be easily incorporated into the current docking system. For instance I have mine developed just above my command bar. I'll post my code, but I've been using CMUD since the first beta so it maybe a bit dated. This was from my first conversion attempt.

What this basically does is defines a button, set's the direction variable and defines macro keys to use directional keys to move. Finally the ShowExit (which I think I got from the help files) enables/disables exits that aren't available base on the %1 input. I have not set up a trigger to actually use it though. I hope that helps.

Code:
#CLASS {Compass}
#ALIAS ShowExits {#CALL %btnenable(btnn,%ismember(n,%1));#CALL %btnenable(btnw,%ismember(w,%1));#CALL %btnenable(btne,%ismember(e,%1));#CALL %btnenable(btns,%ismember(s,%1));#CALL %btnenable(btnd,%ismember(d,%1));#CALL %btnenable(btnu,%ismember(u,%1))}
#KEY SHIFT-LEFT {w;#VAR dir w {} mapper}
#KEY SHIFT-UP {n;#VAR dir n {} mapper}
#KEY SHIFT-DOWN {s;#VAR dir s {} mapper}
#KEY SHIFT-RIGHT {e;#VAR dir e {} mapper}
#BUTTON 1 {} {w;#VAR dir w {} mapper} {} {} {} {} {ARROWL} {Size} {23} {23} {Pos} {24} {1} {} {} {} {} {} {Explore} {west} {btnw} {4}
#BUTTON 3 {} {u;#VAR dir u {} mapper} {} {} {} {} {DIRN} {Size} {23} {23} {Pos} {1} {70} {} {} {} {} {} {Explore} {up} {btnu} {4}
#BUTTON 4 {} {n;#VAR dir n {} mapper} {} {} {} {} {ARROWU} {Size} {23} {23} {Pos} {1} {24} {} {} {} {} {} {Explore} {north} {btnn} {4}
#BUTTON 5 {} {look} {} {} {} {} {TARGET} {Size} {23} {23} {Pos} {24} {24} {} {} {} {} {} {Explore} {look} {btnlook} {4}
#BUTTON 6 {} {s;#VAR dir s {} mapper} {} {} {} {} {ARROWD} {Size} {23} {23} {Pos} {47} {24} {} {} {} {} {} {Explore} {south} {btns} {4}
#BUTTON 7 {} {d;#VAR dir d {} mapper} {} {} {} {} {DIRS} {Size} {23} {23} {Pos} {24} {70} {} {} {} {} {} {Explore} {down} {btnd} {4}
#BUTTON 8 {} {e;#VAR dir e {} mapper} {} {} {} {} {ARROWR} {Size} {23} {23} {Pos} {24} {47} {} {} {} {} {} {Explore} {east} {btne} {4}
#BUTTON 9 {} {scan} {} {} {} {} {ABCM_SYSTEMMOVE} {Size} {23} {23} {Pos} {47} {70} {} {} {} {} {} {Explore} {Scan} {btnscan} {4}
#CLASS 0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:05 pm   ...

Thanks, I'll try it out tonight and make tweaks if necessary. It's still something that I would love to see as a built-in feature though hehe.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:38 pm   

Built-in functionality like this is something I'll be looking into when the mapper gets an overhaul later this year.

I believe that CMUD still has problems with the %btnenable function. Instead of just "dimming" the button (disabling it visually), I think it actually causes the button to be removed from the toolbar and then doesn't allow it to be re-enabled. This is something that is still on the CMUD bug list.

Quote:
I've heard that the scripting between zMUD and cMUD is quite different.

Tech is correct that they are *not* "quite different". CMUD is a superset of zMUD and contains some new features (local variables, etc). For the full list of differences go to the Differences between zMUD and CMUD help article. The list of differences is pretty small. Making CMUD compatible with zMUD scripts has always been a high priority. When something is changed, it's mainly because it was done "wrong" in zMUD and has been a long-term problem for zMUD users and CMUD takes the opportunity to fix it.
Arkonis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:54 pm   ...

I much look forward to seeing better navigation functionality in CMUD and I would love to see the dockable compass implemented. Great job so far, keep up the great work.

Ryan
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:03 pm   

On the topic of getting your room names to update automatically (especially once %btnenable is fixed), try this:

#event OnRoomEnter {ShowExits %roomexits()}

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: