Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Drake1132

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:54 pm   

Exiting does not unload the process...

Sorry if this has been mentioned before...

I have noticed with zMud 7.21 that when I use the "Quit" button at the top right, even though the program window goes away, the process remains active in my task manager and tends to take up some 50-75% or so of my processor power intermittently. Sometimes it uses almost none, but the next second it jumps to a high usage... the only programs I have that use up that much power normally are some of my graphical games like GuildWars and my major graphics programs like 3ds Max and Photoshop... seems odd to me that zMud would use up so much after it is supposed to have shut down. I'm wondering if it hits an infinite loop error while trying to shut down. Also, If I close the active mud connection window and go back to the character selection window, and then click File --> Exit the same thing happens about 50% of the time. This is better than the 100% issue with the quit button, but still somewhat annoying.

Has anyone else had trouble with this or know a fix for it? I'm tired of checking my task manager and ending the process all the time.

Also, are there any more bug fixes or other sorts of improvement releases planned for zMud now that cMud is coming out, or is the zMud project being frozen at 7.21 and all energy being put into cMud instead? I assume the latter, but just curious.

I'm reluctant to pick up cMud because I normally don't like to pick up a program immediately upon release. I prefer to wait for at least one update and set of bug fixes. I might pick up the 30-day trial anyway and check it out, see how I like it, but for now, I like my zMud, always have, and would just like it to shut down properly :)

Thanks for any help,
Drake
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:42 pm   

If memory serves, Zugg has said that if any majorly showstopping bugs (crash bugs, for example) show up in zMUD, he may release an update for it. The current build is apparently stable and quite feature-rich, so no new releases are planned.

I can understand your not wanting to pick up CMUD immediately after release, and I tend to agree. Some people do still have problems with CMUD. The current release schedule is one release a month provided there are no major crash bugs or anything apparent, so you might want to wait until then. The free trial does get reset occasionally, but it probably won't be every month for obvious reasons.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:44 pm   

This particular problem is caused by one of your scripts being hung in a loop. The best solution is to find which script is buggy and correct it, since while it loops it is slowing down all of zMud. The simplest solution is this alias:
#ALIAS atexit {#ABORT 1}
Drake1132

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:42 pm   

Except that I don't really have any scripts running... Predominantly I use zMud for aliases, simple triggers that run maybe 1-5 commands, and buttons to create a GUI for my different muds that I play. So unless the program handles triggers incorrectly or something, there shouldn't be anything that would cause it to hang.

I'll try that alias though, thanks :)

Drake
Zhiroc
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:55 pm   

This happens to me too. And I know that it isn't looping prior to hitting the quit button, because on my laptop, as CPU usage increases, so does fan speed. And the fan doesn't start screaming until after I quit. So... I just never quit anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: