Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Jim Vance
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:38 pm   

Automapper for Building New MUD Grid

I've owned zMUD for several years and have used these forums to develop scripts for playing MUDs. I love the automapper and have bought zMapper to customize my maps, all of which I am very pleased with. I am now part of a development team that is creating a new MUD and I was wondering if anyone has used zMUD and its automapper to lay out and develop a MUD grid. If so, please list resources I could use along with possible scripting ideas from zMUD. I also tried to log into the developer section of these forums and was told only specially chosen users could do so.

Thanks.

Jim Vance
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:26 pm   

Using zMUD's mapper for the development of a new MUD? I've used the mapper to create a map of the layout of an area (just by creating rooms and linking them) using colours and labels to represent different things to help me when I go to build the area.

You could take it further, though, by creating a script in the alias onroomenter that checks to see if the current room has a description (turns on a trigger that checks for room desc and does LOOK) and if it doesn't, it replaces that room's description with the description in the mapper (I'm not sure what the variable or function is for calling room properties, but I'm sure there is one. Have a look in the %roomxxx functions).

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Jim Vance
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:46 pm   

Thanks for the input Fang.

I actually already have the grid laid out and have used zMapper's "room type" modifier to apply colors and movement costs to the rooms (in a generic fashion). I am also working on creating basic descriptions that can be applied to all rooms of certain types. I am also looking into the coding language to help with the zMUD scripting, since all the information is going to have to be entered via code anyways.

I wasn't thinking of using an onroomenter trigger though, I was looking more along the lines of creating an alias that would allow me to enter the direction I would be creating the room and then the automapper would look into that room and enter all the necessary info into the editor along with the coding commands. Since this is a grid, I wanted to make sure I could get all the exits connected as well, and these are also part of the room information contained in the mapper. If anyone else (who has done some grid coding preferrably) has more suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: